The SyncUp Drive is T-Mobile's Connected Car widget that plugs directly into a vehicle's OBD-II Port, creating a Wi-Fi hotspot within the vehicle powered by T-Mobile's network whenever the ignition is turned on. It also provide telematic features for tracking and vehicle diagnostics.
In January 2019 an updated version of the SyncUp Drive was released that supports band 71. It's called the SyncUp Drive 2.
A rebranded version called "SMART-ride" is available from T-Mobile's prepaid subsidiary, Metro by T-Mobile (formerly known as MetroPCS).
ZTE in the News:
ZTE is a Chinese company that produces a variety of electronics, including consumer cellular devices as well as network equipment which can potentially be used by cellular carriers and other internet service providers.
Beginning in 2018, the US government restricted the sale and support of ZTE products in the US due to security concerns and at one point, it seemed like ZTE could be forced out of business.
Currently, however, ZTE is still able to directly sell and support consumer devices in the US, but US telecommunications companies cannot use federal telecom subsidies for ZTE gear or services because the US government considers ZTE to be a security threat.
While unlikely at this point, ZTE could be subject to further US government actions that could further affect the availability of and support for ZTE consumer devices.
Members, our further analysis and detailed updates are in the Special Announcements forum:
A T-Mobile data plan must be attached to this device in order to use data - the standard data plan is 2GB for $10/month, but more data options are available at different levels up to 22GB for $85/month. Once the high-speed data bucket is used up, the plans still offer unlimited 2G for the rest of the month. The Metro by T-Mobile plans for the SMART Ride are very similar.
- Model Number: SyncUp Drive 2
- # of Connected Devices: 5 Wi-Fi
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://192.168.0.1
Default Password: "admin"
- USB Tethering Support: None
- Supported Networks and Bands:
4G/LTE: 2, 4, 5, 5, 12, 66, 71
3G: UMTS: 850, 1700/2100, 1900
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: No
- MIMO Support: Unknown
- LTE Performance Category: Category 3
(Max Theoretical Speed: 100Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Other Ports: OBD-II
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Claimed Battery Life: N/A - No battery
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: Yes
- Dimensions: 2.9" x 2.1" x 1" / 2.8 oz
- SIM Card Type: 3FF / Micro SIM
- Retail Price: $96
News, Videos, & Status
We do not currently plan to test this product. Data plans are pricey and limited. It's of limited appeal to our core audience seeking home internet replacement solutions in RVs and boats.
- T-Mobile Home Internet Service Upgrades to 5G Posted on: January 14, 2021
- Coverage? App Now Includes Maps for 5G, Canadian Carriers and U.S. Cellular Posted on: December 18, 2020
- T-Mobile Launches New Data-Only Plans & Inseego 5G MiFi M2000 Mobile Hotspot Posted on: December 10, 2020
- FCC's Massive C-Band Auction Begins - Shaping The Future of 5G Posted on: December 8, 2020
- Sprint Non-Profit Unlimited Hotspot Plans Gain Access to T-Mobile Roaming - Calyx, PCs for People Posted on: November 18, 2020
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links Provided as a Courtesy
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
To remain unbiased as possible, our primary source of funding comes from our premium members, and we have negotiated higher discounts from some vendors instead of accepting affiliate relationships.
Members, please do check your exclusive Member Discounts before placing an order.
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.