- T-Mobile's cellular-based home internet service has officially launched.
- T-Mobile's home internet service is NOT mobile-friendly.
Table of Contents
Quick Summary of What is New
- The service has officially left Beta and is now available to a wider audience of those in specific - mostly rural - markets.
- The price increased from $50/month to $60/month (existing customers were grandfathered at the $50/month price)
- 5G access was added to include a 5G capable router. We covered this when it was announced back in January.
T-Mobile's Home Internet service is not intended to be a mobile service.
T-Mobile updated its FAQ with the official non-Beta rollout of the service, and it still clearly states that the service is intended for fixed locations only:
Quick Overview of T-Mobile’s Home Internet Service
T-Mobile's Home Internet service is specifically targeted at providing broadband service to primarily rural areas considered underserved by landline internet options. It's part of T-Mobile's effort at addressing the rural broadband problem.
To T-Mobile, 5G for All also means 5G for Small. - T-Mobile
The service (now) costs $60/month (with autopay, taxes included) for unlimited 4G/5G data with no data caps. T-Mobile claims that most customers will see average speeds of over 100 Mbps. All data is subject to network management, meaning data will be deprioritized when the network is congested.
The service requires the use of a T-Mobile High-Speed Internet Gateway device, which is provided for free by T-Mobile. The service cannot be used on any other device.
This is a no-contract month-to-month service. If service is canceled, customers must return the router or pay a fee.
Related News Stories
- T-Mobile Updates Home Internet Service FAQ - Location Changes Require Contacting Carrier Posted on: June 20, 2022
- T-Mobile 5G Home and Small Business Internet - Portability Now Supported Posted on: May 24, 2022
- Metro By T-Mobile Offering T-Mobile Home Internet Service For Customers With Voice Lines On Account Posted on: February 17, 2022
- Ultra Mobile Offering New Home Internet Plans - Expensive and Mobile Use is Prohibited Posted on: February 2, 2022
- T-Mobile Home Internet Service - Now Out of Beta - is Still Not Mobile Friendly Posted on: April 8, 2021