Synology routers do run on 12v power, but they only come with A/C adapters - using a 12v source would require an adapter. They do not come with WiFi-as-WAN but that could be added with an additional piece of gear.
Synology routers also come with an intuitive user interface (Synology's SRM) and companion "apps" that provide additional functionality, including:
- Parental Controls & access control/scheduling
- Traffic monitoring/control
- Built-in VPN, media, RADIUS, and storage server
- Integration with Synology ecosystem (including remote monitoring/control)
- Advanced security features
The routers also come with all the usual features one would expect in a home router.
Synology currently offers two models:
- MR2200ac - A mesh router system
- RT2600ac - The standard home router (Reviewed in this entry)
- Model: RT2600ac
- Router Specs:
- # of Connected Devices: 100
- Wi-Fi Router:
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://router.synology.com
Default Password: synology
- USB Tethering Support: Yes
- Ethernet Ports:
- 1x WAN
- 1x Dual LAN/WAN
- 3x LAN
- Cellular Modem Specs: N/A
- Dimensions: 3 x 9.9 x 6.7 inches (without antennas)
- Other Ports:
- 1x USB 3.0
- 1x USB 2.0
- 1x SD-card slot
- Power Source: 12v, 3.5amp (comes only with an AC adapter)
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Parental Controls, Dual WAN failover/load balancing, NAS Integration, VPN
- Retail Price: $199
Review & Testing Status
We tested the RT2600ac model over the summer in 2019. Our detailed assessment is available to our members below.
Content included in the member area below:
- Favorite Features & Potential Downsides
- Hardware Features and Capabilities
- Software & User Interface
- Other Features
- Mobile Router Comparison
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile routers on the market we are tracking - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!