The basic SPOT Gen3 and SPOT X satellite communication devices combine a GPS with a satellite transmitter (powered by the Globalstar satellite network) that works almost everywhere in the world (there are a few gaps in coverage, but not many).
Just press a button to “Check In” or another button to “Send Help.”
- SPOT Gen3 ($149.99) is broadcast only – there is no way for you to receive a message.
- SPOT X ($249.99) is a two-way device. SPOT X provides you with your own personal mobile U.S. number so others can message you directly from their cell phone or other SMS devices at any time. It also contains a full keyboard for on device usage.
- Main Function: Basic Satellite Communicator
- Satellite Network: Globalstar
- SPOT Gen3: Sends 1,250 messages on a single set of Lithium batteries
- SPOT X: 240hrs (10 DAYS) in continuous 10 min tracking mode
- SPOT Gen3: 4oz
- SPOT X: 7oz
- SPOT Gen3: 3.43" x 2.56" x 1"
- SPOT X: 6.5'' x 2.9'' x 0.9''
- SPOT Gen3: IPX7
- SPOT X: IPX7
- SPOT Gen3: GPS accurate within 5 meters
- SPOT X: GPS accurate within 3 meters
- SPOT Gen3: $149
- SPOT X: $249
We do not intend to obtain a setup to test.
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
- New Satellite Messaging Options: Garmin inReach Mini, Somewear Global, Globalstar Sat-Fi2, & SPOT X Posted on: May 23, 2018