The basic SPOT Gen3 and SPOT X satellite communication devices combine a GPS with a satellite transmitter (powered by the Globalstar satellite network) that works almost everywhere in the world (there are a few gaps in coverage, but not many).
Just press a button to “Check In” or another button to “Send Help.”
- SPOT Gen3 ($149.99) is broadcast only – there is no way for you to receive a message.
- SPOT X ($249.99) is a two-way device. SPOT X provides you with your own personal mobile U.S. number so others can message you directly from their cell phone or other SMS devices at any time. It also contains a full keyboard for on device usage.
- Main Function: Basic Satellite Communicator
- Satellite Network: Globalstar
- SPOT Gen3: Sends 1,250 messages on a single set of Lithium batteries
- SPOT X: 240hrs (10 DAYS) in continuous 10 min tracking mode
- SPOT Gen3: 4oz
- SPOT X: 7oz
- SPOT Gen3: 3.43" x 2.56" x 1"
- SPOT X: 6.5'' x 2.9'' x 0.9''
- SPOT Gen3: IPX7
- SPOT X: IPX7
- SPOT Gen3: GPS accurate within 5 meters
- SPOT X: GPS accurate within 3 meters
- SPOT Gen3: $149
- SPOT X: $249
News, Videos, & Status
We do not intend to obtain a setup to test.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured mobile satellite options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links Provided as a Courtesy