The basic SPOT Gen3 and SPOT X satellite communication devices combine a GPS with a satellite transmitter (powered by the Globalstar satellite network) that works almost everywhere in the world (there are a few gaps in coverage, but not many).
Just press a button to “Check In” or another button to “Send Help.”
- SPOT Gen3 ($149.99) is broadcast only – there is no way for you to receive a message.
- SPOT X ($249.99) is a two-way device. SPOT X provides you with your own personal mobile U.S. number so others can message you directly from their cell phone or other SMS devices at any time. It also contains a full keyboard for on device usage.
- Main Function: Basic Satellite Communicator
- Satellite Network: Globalstar
- SPOT Gen3: Sends 1,250 messages on a single set of Lithium batteries
- SPOT X: 240hrs (10 DAYS) in continuous 10 min tracking mode
- SPOT Gen3: 4oz
- SPOT X: 7oz
- SPOT Gen3: 3.43" x 2.56" x 1"
- SPOT X: 6.5'' x 2.9'' x 0.9''
- SPOT Gen3: IPX7
- SPOT X: IPX7
- SPOT Gen3: GPS accurate within 5 meters
- SPOT X: GPS accurate within 3 meters
- SPOT Gen3: $149
- SPOT X: $249
Review & Testing Status:
We do not intend to obtain a setup to test.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured mobile satellite options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!