This device has been discontinued or we consider it obsolete. While current owners of this device may continue to find performance to be adequate for the foreseeable tech-future, we do not recommend upgrading to or purchasing this device.
ZTE in the News: ZTE has been in the news a lot lately thanks to the sanctions the company has been negotiating with the US government. At one point, it seemed as if ZTE would be forced out of business.
In mid-July 2018 it looked like the dust has settled and ZTE would be able to continue releasing new products and supporting older devices, so we dropped our previous warning.
However, as of late 2018, the Trump administration is considering a ban on ZTE and Huawei via Executive Order.
Members, get our further analysis and follow our ongoing tracking of this story in our Special Announcements forum:
In other words - the Mobley exists primarily to keep passengers entertained with internet access while on a road trip.
AT&T had paired the Mobley with an incredibly affordable (just $20/month!) unlimited data offering for the first part of 2017 and then again in early 2019. That Connected Car Plan offer is no longer available to aftermarket devices. Thus, the sparkle of the Mobley has dimmed significantly.
With a Cat 3 rating, the need to build or purchase an adapter so that you can keep the Mobley running, no 5.0GHz WiFi option, no antenna ports and a cap of 5 supported connections - this device is easily overshadowed by much more capable mobile hotspot devices offered by AT&T.
ZTE Mobley Specifications
- # of Connected Devices: 5 via Wi-Fi / Unofficially Supports USB Tethering (see below)
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://attwifimanager/
Default Password: "attadmin"
- Networks supported:
LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 17
4G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: No
- LTE Performance Category: Category 3
(Max Theoretical Speed: 100Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n - 2.4GHz Only
- Dimensions: 3.22" x 1.96" x .86" / 2.12 oz
- SIM Card Type: 3FF / Micro SIM
- Retail Price: $99
Review & Testing Status
We purchased a Mobley when the Connected Car ($20) plan was still available, and put it to the test.
Members can access our 2017 round of modem testing, which included testing the Mobley Device on a Connected Car plan here:
Cellular Equipment Field Testing Results – Netgear Modems / USB730 (Late 2017)
Related News Articles:
- The $20/mo Mobley Chrysler/Mopar eMail Campaign Deal Now: Out of Stock Posted on: February 18, 2019
- AT&T $20/month Unlimited Mobley Plan - Back for a Limited Time via UConnect Chrysler/Mopar eMail Campaign Posted on: January 23, 2019
- AT&T Connected Car Mobley SIMs Reporting as PIN Locked - How to Get Your PUK Codes Posted on: October 18, 2018
- AT&T Pushes Mobley Firmware Update VM6200V1.0.3 - Removes 'No Time Out' Power Save Setting Posted on: October 4, 2018
- AT&T Spark Connected Car OBD-II Device by Harman - Is It a Mobley Replacement? Posted on: September 25, 2018
A Full Review of this Product is Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to the in-depth unbiased review of this product based on our extensive hands-on time and testing.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Here are some purchasing links- the device is now only available through 3rd parties at a marked up price:
- The Mobley is not the Audiovox "Car Connection 2.0", a claim occasionally made by AT&T reps. Don't be fooled - while the Audiovox also plugs into an OBD-2 port, it does not create a Wi-Fi hotspot and is only useful for vehicle diagnostics.
- The Spark is an OBD-II device similar to the Mobley but it cannot be used outside of a vehicle OBD port and cannot easily be kept "powered on" 24/7. This limits this new device to in-car, in-motion use only, the original intent for the connected car program. The Spark is not a suitable replacement for the Mobley as a home-internet replacement for mobile users. The plan is also $30/month as it includes telematic features.