A few people have noticed their AT&T branded Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspots recently prompting to install a mandatory firmware update from AT&T - version: NTG9X50C_12.05.05.12
This seems to be a very minor bug fix release, and it is perhaps caught in a time warp - AT&T's page on the firmware says that it was originally from December 19, 2018.
Jan. 21, 2020 Update: This new release has an Ethernet bug that is preventing some users from utilizing the Ethernet port. Netgear is aware of the issue and is working on a fix.
Feb. 12, 2020 Update: AT&T pushed version 12.05.05.14 to fix this bug.
The "What's New" listed is relatively insignificant:
What's new: Ethernet to LTE Failover (Always-On Wi-Fi) feature, SMS Alert feature (disabled via configuration), Support for disabling factory reset button
Confusing things - in November 2019 Netgear released an update labeled as 12.06.08.00 for the Nighthawk MR1100 that includes a fix for reboots when running without a battery installed. This update is for the non-AT&T branded unlocked Nighthawk models, and is newer than what AT&T has now released.
Perhaps AT&T pushed the old minor 12.05.05.12 to lay the groundwork for an imminent official update to 12.06.08.
- Peplink Firmware 8.3 Is Packed With New Features: Synergy Mode, Dynamic Weighted Bonding, Unlimited SpeedFusion Data and Virtual WAN Posted on: February 23, 2023
- WiFiRanger Releases 7.1.0b12 Firmware Update Posted on: June 27, 2022
- Peplink Firmware 8.2.1 Released: SpeedFusion Cloud Renamed to SpeedFusion Connect Posted on: June 9, 2022
- T-Mobile M2000 Mobile Hotspot Firmware Update 4D Posted on: April 14, 2022
- Verizon Releases Firmware System Update 3 for Inseego 8800L Mobile Hotspots Posted on: January 17, 2022