TP-Link is a major manufacturer of networking hardware for home, business, and enterprise use.
The TP-Link ER605 and bigger brother, the ER7206, are called "Omada Gigabit VPN Routers." Omada is TP-Link's cloud management and monitoring service and these routers are primarily designed to provide remotely-managed VPN connections, including over multiple Ethernet WAN links.
These routers do not include any Wi-Fi capability.
What makes them interesting for mobile internet users is their robust failover and load balancing capability. While this is limited to Ethernet connections, these routers can be useful for mobile users looking to integrate redundant options without spending for an enterprise router like a Pepwave.
There are two products, but also different versions for each product.
- ER605 V1 - 5x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- ER605 V2 - 5x Gigabit Ethernet Ports + 1 USB WAN port
- ER7206 - 5x Gigabit Ethernet Ports + 1 Gigabit SFP port. Faster internals for more VPN performance.
- Model: ER605 & ER7206
- Router Specs:
- # of Connected Devices: Not specified
- Wi-Fi Router: None
- Default Control Panel Address and Password:
Control Panel: 192.168.0.1
Default Password: Set on first login
- USB Tethering Support: Yes on ER605 V2 only
- Ethernet Ports:
- ER605 5x Gigabit Ethernet (1x WAN, 2xWAN/LAN, 2x LAN)
- ER7206 5x Gigabit Ethernet (1x WAN, 2xWAN/LAN, 2x LAN), 1x Gigbit SFP Port (WAN)
- Cellular Modem Specs: No Cellular Modem
- Dimensions: 6.2 × 4.0 × 1.0 inches
- Other Ports: None
- Power Source:
- ER605: 12v (AC Power Adapter included)
- ER7206 100–240 V~50/60 Hz
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Special Features: Remote management, Integrated VPN, Failover, Band Locking
- Retail Price: $59.99 - 149.99
News, Videos & Status
We have an ER605 V1 (without a USB port) in for testing.
Members can access our testing notes in our forums:
TP-Link ER605 Gigabit VPN Router (Mobile Router) | Testing In Progress - First Impressions | MIA Member Forums
- GL.iNet Releases Spitz AX Cellular Router With An X62 Cellular Modem Posted on: May 31, 2023
- Insty Connect Offering X62 5G Modems - A First For Mobile Routers Posted on: January 27, 2023
- Peplink Lowers Price of MAX Transit Duo Pro Router to $999 & Updates Name Posted on: November 21, 2022
- Cradlepoint Updates Cellular Modems For Routers Posted on: November 9, 2022
- Winegard Releases Air 360+ 5G Dome and 5G Gateway Router Posted on: October 19, 2022
Alternatives to Consider
For other popular mobile routers on the market we are tracking - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links & Disclaimer
We don't sell stuff, we are primarily member funded. Some links below may be affiliate links (see our disclaimer), which also helps fund MIRC.
The vendors displayed below provide larger discounts to our MIAs that we have negotiated instead of displaying affiliate links while they are logged in.
MIA Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our Mobile Internet Aficionados (MIA) get special discounts from the below vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. With savings up to 11% off, you could save more than your membership cost!
Amazon (affiliate links):
Routers can serve as a central conductor of your local area network in your RV and boat. Mobile routers are different from residential routers in that they typically support multiple internet sources like cellular and Wi-Fi, can be powered off of 12v or AC and support external antenna for better receiving signal.
But you might not need a router in your setup. Here's a quick video overview the variety that routers come in:
For more on learning about mobile routers and how they might fit in your setup, follow up with our educational resources: