AT&T is a solid choice for the nomadic set seeking cellular coverage to provide mobile internet on their journey.
But - finding an AT&T plan with enough data to act as a home internet replacement for can be a bit challenging.
One option that a large number of nomads have found success in utilizing is renting an unlimited AT&T data plan - which offers shareable, unlimited (depending on the vendor's definition of 'unlimited') data.
Renting/Leasing AT&T Unlimited Data Plans
When renting or leasing a data plan, you are paying a vendor for use of the line, and do not have a direct relationship with AT&T.
The upfront costs are typically minimal (ranging from $5-250 depending on if a MiFi/Hotspot/Router device is included), but the monthly costs are generally substantially higher than the actual cost the broker is paying for the line.
Dealing with Third-Party Vendors and Why the Pricing Range?
Some plans are based on postpaid business data only lines with no stated limitations, and some are plans based on the prepaid plans (including the prepaid tablet plan - usually the lower-priced vendors) that might be subject to limitations like network management, lower priority service, lack of roaming or video throttling.
As with all third-party resellers, consider that the vendor may NOT have an official relationship with the carrier and service could be terminated with little notice.
What You Need to Know
- Upfront costs are set by the vendor, and usually include the purchase of a SIM card and possibly a mobile hotspot device (Hotspot/MiFi). If they are including a MiFi device, make sure it is a current model so it supports all of AT&T's coverage. Check our Gear Center for the current best options.
- Expect to pay $5 - 250 upfront depending on what is included.
- Monthly costs are also set by the vendor, based on current market demand. This is a month-to-month agreement, which gives you the flexibility to discontinue service as needed. But remember, no-contract goes two ways - we have heard several reports of unexpected price increases by vendors.
- Soft Data Caps: Some rental vendors now have data caps ranging from 200-500GB a month put in place.
- Prepaid vs Postpaid: Some plans may be corporate postpaid plans without caps or network management, but some cheaper lines may actually be prepaid tablet unlimited data plans that are subject to network management at 22GB.
- Have a Back-Up Option: We highly recommend having an alternate way online if you rely on one of these plans. Remember, these plans can get shut down with little notice (for contract breach, your vendor not paying their bill, etc).
Vendors We Track
Resellers may show 'out of stock' depending on current inventory and availability. And plans may actually come with data caps. Please be sure to read each vendor's fine print - and ask questions - before committing to purchasing a device or paying an up-front fee.
February 2020 Note: AT&T appears to be adjusting their stance on unlimited data plans. In January they retired their RV Adventure Unlimited plan, and in February they retired the popular $34.99/mo AT&T Prepaid Tablet plan. There are several vendors also reporting that they are not accepting new customers and that plan changes are coming. We are monitoring these vendors below, and crossing off the ones reporting in as not accepting new customers.
- Travel Data - $55/month
- OTR Mobile - $60/month (See Our Gear Center Entry)
- ATTHotspot - $60/month
- Gypsy Wireless - $60/month
- RedPocket - $60/month
American Family Wireless- $65/month
- LambWireless - $65/month
Net Buddy- $65/month (See Our Gear Center Entry) Unlimited 4G Data- $65/month
- Instant-Internet - $65/month
- Nomadic Wireless - $70/month
- Never Throttled - $70/month
Unlimited 4G LTE- $75/month
- Unlimited Inter.net - $80/month
Bix Wireless- $85/month
- ispMint - $89/month
- UbiFi - $89.99/month
- Trifecta Wireless- $129/month
- The RV IT Guy - $99/month (See Our Gear Center Entry)
- USLTE - $99/month
- WaveNet - $99/month
- gotW3 - $99.99/month
TechNowzi- $100 - $250/month
- Konnected Technology - $109.95/month
- MyIslandWifi - $110/month
- MobileMustHave - $120/month
- EVDO Depot USA - $129 - $139/month
- UnlimitedIRL - $139/month
Unlimited Leasing- $139/month
- Timbuktu Wireless - $149.99/month
- BroadbandQ - $149/month
- IHQ Internet for Rural USA - $150/month
- Unlimitedville (Blue) - $199/month (See Our Gear Center Entry)
- Global/International Options
- MobileMustHave - $140/month
Data Vendors & Brokers: Want to be listed? Please be in touch at [email protected] and introduce yourself and what you offer. We take absolutely no listing fees, advertisement dollars or kickbacks for listings. You must host your own web storefront (eBay not eligible) where customers can transparently learn about the details of your offering.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.