Cradlepoint is a well-respected mobile router manufacturer focused on enterprise and fleet deployments, competing primarily with Peplink's Pepwave router lineup, although Cradlepoint is much less consumer-friendly thanks to the requirement for an ongoing NetCloud subscription and less focus on consumer sales and support.
Cradlepoint has also lacked nomad-friendly features that are available on Pepwave and from other router makers. One of these is band-locking - the ability to select and disable specific cellular bands in the firmware,
But now Cradlepoint offers this feature called "Band Masking."
In the UI, you can now specify and disable specific bands. However, this is not as user-friendly as Pepwave and others which use checkboxes in the UI - with Cradlepoint, you must input the bands you want to disable in a specific format. The Cradlepoint help article puts it this way:
Any disallowed bands entered into the fields are not cross verified to check whether they are supported or unsupported by the current modem. Research the modem capabilities before masking any bands. Entries are syntax checked, however. Precede all band numbers with a letter (B/b or N/n), and separate multiple entries with a comma. Do not include spaces. Any bands entered here will persist even when you navigate away from the page.
Still, it's nice to see Cradlepoint finally adopt this very useful feature.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- Cradlepoint now offers cellular band locking with a "band masking" feature
- Band locking/masking allows the user to disable specific cellular bands, allowing the user to fine-tune the cellular connection.
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Gear: Product Lineup: Cradlepoint (Mobile Routers)
- Guide: Setting Up and Optimizing Mobile Internet at Your New RV or Boat Location
- Guide: Optimizing & Understanding Cellular Data Performance - Getting Better Speeds & Reliability
- Content Collection: Resources for Routers in a Mobile Internet Setup
- GL.iNet Releases Spitz AX Cellular Router With An X62 Cellular Modem Posted on: May 31, 2023
- Insty Connect Offering X62 5G Modems - A First For Mobile Routers Posted on: January 27, 2023
- Cradlepoint Updates Cellular Modems For Routers Posted on: November 9, 2022
- Winegard Releases Air 360+ 5G Dome and 5G Gateway Router Posted on: October 19, 2022