FMCA includes an unlimited data plan for its members via their Tech Connect+ program. This plan has historically been on the Sprint network, but with the recent merger of T-Mobile and Sprint, the plan is being transitioned to a T-Mobile based plan.
FMCA has already started shipping out T-Mobile SIMs with new signups, and we are now getting reports that existing members are being switched over to a T-Mobile hotspot, specifically the Alcatel LINKZONE2 or Franklin T9.
We have not heard any reports that the Calyx Institute, which also historically offered a Sprint-based non-profit plan, is making any similar transitions to hotspots for existing members yet.
Notably, FMCA has pointed out on their website that while the plan does provide unlimited data, the 50GB Network Management threshold (which is not new) is being enforced by T-Mobile whereas it was not as noticeable on Sprint. Network management just means speeds may be slower when on congested towers, which can happen quite often in seasonal hotspots like RVing snowbird locations. T-Mobile has historically enforced lower priority on hotspot data on unlimited plans after exceeding 50GB of usage and been more aggressive about it.
The FMCA has also paused new enrollments in the Tech Connect+ program as of February 11, 2022 - as indicated via a message on their website. There's no explanation as to why, however we reached out for comment and were told they were working on a 'few kinks' in the program and are intending to bring the option back. Possibly with a better hotspot device. Until the plan is available again, we have dropped our 'Top Pick' status on the plan.
Update: As of mid-March, we have noted that the FMCA is offering the plan again.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- The Alcatel LINKZONE 2 and Franklin T9 are rather basic hotspots, but do include support for T-Mobile's crucial band 71.
- Neither hotspot has antenna ports or supports 5G.
Members: Login for some exclusive additional mobile internet considerations.
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Gear Center: FMCA T-Mobile/Sprint TechConnect+ Unlimited Cellular Data Plan
- Gear Center: T-Mobile/Sprint Based Non-Profit Unlimited Data Plans & Calyx Institute | PCs for People (Cellular Data Plans)
- Gear Center: LINKZONE 2 for T-Mobile & Sprint by Alcatel (Mobile Hotspot)
- FMCA TechConnect+ Plan Changes - Upgrade to 25 Mbps Speed Cap, No 5G, and One Line Per Membership Posted on: July 11, 2022
- FMCA Confirms 12Mbps Limit on AT&T Based Tech Connect+ Data Plan Posted on: June 28, 2022
- FMCA Tech Connect+ Data Plan Transitioning from T-Mobile to AT&T - $59.99/mo Unlimited Hotspot Posted on: June 7, 2022
- Calyx Institute Replacing Sprint Hotspots and SIMs - Update Your Address By April 8th! (UPDATED) Posted on: March 18, 2022
- FMCA Begins Transition to T-Mobile Hotspots for Existing Members Posted on: February 15, 2022