Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service combining Verizon's cellular network with the network of 16 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity internet subscribers, but, you have to be a Comcast cable TV and internet (both!) customer to sign up. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
The base monthly service of unlimited talk and text is included for free with the internet service - and you only pay for the data package you want. Mobile hotspot use is included with both of Xfinity's plans.
You must buy a phone from Comcast that is specially configured to work with their Wi-Fi network, they are not allowing bring your own devices at all. Comcast offers iPhones and certain LG and Samsung phone models either for full price purchase, or via a 24-month installment plan.
The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text and data based upon the country.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: If no WiFi hotspot or native Verizon coverage is available, Xfinity supports domestic roaming per Verizon.
- Throttling: Speeds are throttled at 20GB to 1.5Mbps down, and 750kbps up.
- International: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text and data based upon the country.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Mobile hotspot use is permitted.
- Data Roll Over: Base data allotment does not roll-over.
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB. If any month you need more than about 3GB of data, you can switch to Unlimited.
- Streaming: No free streaming services are included - all video services (even Comcast's own Xfinity apps) count.
- Unlimited Data Plans: An 'Unlimited' plan is offered, but speeds are throttled after 20GB of cellular usage per month. This isn't "network management" like AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile use now to slow heavy users down only when the towers are congested. With Xfinity Mobile, once you cross 20GB you are slowed down for the remainder of the month no matter what the tower load looks like. The good news: the throttled speed cap is 1.5Mbps for downloads, and 750kbps for uploads. This is fast enough for basic standard-definition video streaming, and many customers may barely feel the impact.
Testing Status: We do not keep an Xfinity Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
- Cell Carriers Respond to Hurricane Irma Posted on: September 12, 2017
- Cell Carriers Respond to Hurricane Harvey With Free Data, Calls, COWs, and COLTs Posted on: August 29, 2017
- Xfinity Mobile Now Available to All Comcast Internet Customers Posted on: August 18, 2017
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Xfinity Mobile Mobile Ratings
Xfinity Mobile offers an unlimited data plan for Comcast cable TV and internet customers.