Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service combining Verizon's cellular network with the network of 16 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots on smartphone devices. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity those with a post-pay subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, you can cancel the home cable and internet portion and keep Xfinity mobile, with some restrictions. This might be an option for those leaving a sticks-and-bricks home to travel full-time.
- You'll be charged an additional $10/month access fee per line.
- You cannot add new lines or services to your Xfinity Mobile account.
- You cannot replace your phone or SIM card unless your device is covered by the Xfinity Mobile Protection Plan.
The base monthly service of unlimited talk and text is included for free with the internet service - and you only pay for the data package you want. Mobile hotspot use is included with both of Xfinity's plans.
Comcast offers iPhones and certain LG and Samsung phone models. A BYOD option is available, but as of July 2018, it was only available for iPhones (the phone must be a 5 or newer).
The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text and data based upon the country.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: If no WiFi hotspot or native Verizon coverage is available, Xfinity supports domestic roaming per Verizon.
- Throttling: Speeds are throttled at 20GB to 1.5Mbps down, and 750kbps up.
- International: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data based upon the country.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Mobile hotspot use is permitted, however since launch Xfinity's fine print has been updated to include that hotspot use will be restricted to just 600 kbps at all times.
- Data Roll Over: Base data allotment does not roll-over.
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB. If any month you need more than about 3GB of data, you can switch to Unlimited.
- Streaming: No free streaming services are included - all video services (even Comcast's own Xfinity apps) count.
- Unlimited Data Plans: An 'Unlimited' plan is offered, but speeds are throttled after 20GB of cellular usage per month. This isn't "network management" like AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile use now to slow heavy users down only when the towers are congested. With Xfinity Mobile, once you cross 20GB you are slowed down for the remainder of the month no matter what the tower load looks like. The good news: the throttled speed cap is 1.5Mbps for downloads, and 750kbps for uploads. This is fast enough for basic standard-definition video streaming, and many customers may barely feel the impact.
Testing Status: We do not keep an Xfinity Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Spectrum Launches Mobile Service for Home Internet Customers Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Cell Carriers Respond to Hurricane Irma Posted on: September 12, 2017
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Xfinity Mobile Mobile Ratings
Xfinity Mobile offers an unlimited data plan for Comcast cable TV and internet customers.