Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service owned and operated by Comcast, which combines use of Verizon's cellular network with a network of 18 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity customers with a postpaid subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, you can cancel the home cable and internet portion and keep Xfinity mobile, but a "$20 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet or Voice service."
Unlimited talk and text is included on all plans.
Xfinity mobile also allows tablets and smartwatches for an additional $10/month plus the plan fee.
Second Generation Plans (Currently Available)
- 1 GB, $12/mo
- 3 GB, $30/mo
- 10 GB, $60/mo
- Unlimited (20GB high-speed data) - $45
Data is always subject to network management unless the customer buys a $20/month HD video upgrade. This is true even on the tiered data By-The-Gig Plans.
By-The-Gig plans can stream video at up to 720p, unlimited is up to 480p. Customers can purchase HD passes for $20/month which provide 720p streaming and also remove network management from the line.
The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data-based upon the country.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
Policies & Perks: (2nd Generation Plans)
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon & Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots
- 5G Access: Xfinity mobile offers 5G plans.
- Carrier Relation: MVNO + Direct Wi-Fi hotspots
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Tablet, Smartwatch
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphones, tablets, smartwatches
- Device Purchase Required: Comcast offers a limited selection of flagship-level smartphones. A BYOD option is available, but as of August 2019, it was only available for newer iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- By-The-Gig: Full-speed data
- Unlimited: Always throttled to 600kbps.
- Network Management: Always subject to network management ($20/month upgrade option to remove this is available)
- International Roaming: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data-based upon the country. Customers must call Xfinity to activate international roaming.
- Domestic Roaming: None, use is limited to native Verizon towers (not roaming partners) and the network of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Plan Period: Monthly
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB.
- No free streaming services are included - all video services (even Comcast's own Xfinity apps) count towards data use.
- Video streams up to 720p on By-The-Gig plans and 480p on the Unlimited plan. HD streaming is available when on Xfinity Wi-fi or customers can purchase a $20/month HD data pass.
- Unlimited: Yes, but on 'Unlimited' plan speeds are throttled at 20GB to 1.5Mbps down, and 750kbps up and always subject to network management.
- Lines per account: 5
Testing Status: We do not keep an Xfinity Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
Historically, Xfinity Mobile offered two "generations" of plans. Accounts begun prior to August 2019 were on the 1st Generation plan and were initially grandfathered into that plan. Accounts begun during or after August 2019 were/are on the 2nd Generation plan. A detailed list of differences between the two generations is on the Xfinity website.
In February 2020, Xfinity migrated all customers to their second generation plan - ignoring initial grandfathering policy.
First Generation Plans (Retired - Grandfathered)
These plans had two options:
- By the Gig - $12/GB
- Unlimited' (20GB high-speed data) - $45
- Xfinity Mobile Plan Changes Posted on: August 6, 2019
- 2018 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2019 Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.