Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service owned and operated by Comcast, which combines use of Verizon's cellular network with a network of 18 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity customers with a postpaid subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, you can cancel the home cable and internet portion and keep Xfinity mobile, with some restrictions. This might be an option for those leaving a sticks-and-bricks home to travel full-time.
- You'll be charged an additional $10/month access fee per line.
- You cannot add new lines or services to your Xfinity Mobile account.
- You cannot replace your phone or SIM card unless your device is covered by the Xfinity Mobile Protection Plan.
Unlimited talk and text is included on all data/Wi-Fi plans. Xfinity Mobile offers two data plan types:
- By the Gig - $12/GB
- Unlimited' (20GB high-speed data) - $45
The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text and data based upon the country.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon & Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots
- Carrier Relation: MVNO + Direct Wi-Fi hotspots
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Phones
- Device Purchase Required: Comcast offers iPhones and certain LG and Samsung phone models. A BYOD option is available, but as of July 2018, it was only available for iPhones (the phone must be a 5 or newer).
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes - always throttled to 600kbps
- All hotspot data is throttled to 600kbps. On device data is at full speed.
- On 'Unlimited' plan: speeds are throttled at 20GB to 1.5Mbps down, and 750kbps up
- Network Management: 22GB on Verizon
- International Roaming: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data based upon the country.
- Domestic Roaming: If no WiFi hotspot or native Verizon coverage is available, Xfinity supports domestic roaming per Verizon.
- Plan Period: Monthly
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB. If any month you need more than about 3GB of data, you can switch to Unlimited.
- No free streaming services are included - all video services (even Comcast's own Xfinity apps) count towards data use.
- Video streams up to 480p, standard-definition quality. HD streaming is available on Xfinity Wi-fi.
- Unlimited: Yes, but on 'Unlimited' plan: speeds are throttled at 20GB to 1.5Mbps down, and 750kbps up
- Lines permitted per account: 5
Testing Status: We do not keep an Xfinity Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
- 2018 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2019 Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Spectrum Launches Mobile Service for Home Internet Customers Posted on: July 2, 2018
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Xfinity Mobile Ratings
Xfinity Mobile offers data plans for Comcast cable TV and internet customers.