Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service owned and operated by Comcast, which combines the use of Verizon's cellular network with a network of 18 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity customers with a postpaid subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, you can cancel the home cable and internet portion and keep Xfinity mobile, but a "$20 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet or Voice service."
Unlimited talk and text are included on all plans.
Xfinity mobile also allows tablets and smartwatches for an additional $10/month plus the plan fee.
Currently Available Plans:
- By the Gig Plan - 10 GB, $60/mo
- Unlimited (20GB high-speed data) - $45/month
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon & Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO + Direct Wi-Fi hotspots
- Plan Types Available: Smartphones, tablets, watches
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphones, tablets, watches
- Unlimited: Yes, but with high-speed data cap at 20GB
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- Throttling: On all plans, after 20 GB of monthly data use, speeds are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 kbps upload, determined and applied on a per-line basis.
- Network Management: Always ($20/month upgrade option to remove this is available)
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- By-The-Gig plans: 720p phones; 1080p tablets
- Unlimited plan: 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, where 5G is available and with a 5G capable device
- Device Purchase Required: zmp
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data-based upon the country. Customers must call Xfinity to activate international roaming.
- Domestic Roaming: None, use is limited to native Verizon towers (not roaming partners) and the network of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB.
- Lines permitted per account: 5
News, Videos & Status
- Xfinity Mobile Plan Changes Posted on: August 6, 2019
- 2018 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2019 Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Spectrum Launches Mobile Service for Home Internet Customers Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Cell Carriers Respond to Hurricane Irma Posted on: September 12, 2017
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
Here's a video going over the 'limits' on so-called 'unlimited' data plans:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides to help with selecting gear and your signal enhancing strategy: