Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service owned and operated by Comcast, which combines use of Verizon's cellular network with a network of 18 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity customers with a postpaid subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, you can cancel the home cable and internet portion and keep Xfinity mobile, but a "$20 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet or Voice service."
Unlimited talk and text is included on all plans.
Xfinity mobile also allows tablets and smartwatches for an additional $10/month plus the plan fee.
Currently Available Plans:
- By the Gig Plan - 10 GB, $60/mo
- Unlimited (20GB high-speed data) - $45/month
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon & Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO + Direct Wi-Fi hotspots
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Tablet, Smartwatch
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphones, tablets, smartwatches
- Unlimited: Yes, but with high speed data cap at 20GB
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- Throttling: On all plans, after 20 GB of monthly data use, speeds are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 kbps upload, determined and applied on a per-line basis.
- Network Management: Always subject to network management ($20/month upgrade option to remove this is available)
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Video streams up to 1080p on By-The-Gig plans and 480p on the Unlimited plan. HD streaming is available when on Xfinity Wi-fi or customers can purchase a $20/month HD data pass.
- 5G Access: Yes, where 5G is available and with a 5G capable device
- Device Purchase Required: zmp
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data-based upon the country. Customers must call Xfinity to activate international roaming.
- Domestic Roaming: None, use is limited to native Verizon towers (not roaming partners) and the network of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB.
- Lines permitted per account: 5
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos
- Xfinity Mobile Plan Changes Posted on: August 6, 2019
- 2018 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2019 Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.