Xfinity Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service owned and operated by Comcast, which combines the use of Verizon's cellular network with a network of 18 million Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots. The data service automatically switches between whichever is available.
Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity customers with a postpaid subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cables in a stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, you can cancel the home cable and internet portion and keep Xfinity mobile, but a "$20 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: Xfinity TV, Internet or Voice service."
Unlimited talk and text are included on all plans.
Xfinity mobile also allows tablets and smartwatches for an additional $10/month plus the plan fee.
Currently Available Plans:
- By the Gig Plan - 10 GB, $60/mo
- Unlimited (20GB high-speed data) - $45/month
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon & Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO + Direct Wi-Fi hotspots
- Plan Types Available: Smartphones, tablets, watches
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphones, tablets, watches
- Unlimited: Yes, but with high-speed data cap at 20GB
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- By the Gig: All data on plan
- Unlimited: None. Mobile hotspot data always throttled to 600kbps.
- Throttling: On all plans, after 20 GB of monthly data use, speeds are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 kbps upload, determined and applied on a per-line basis.
- Network Management: Always ($20/month upgrade option to remove this is available)
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- By-The-Gig plans: 720p phones; 1080p tablets
- Unlimited plan: 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, where 5G is available and with a 5G capable device
- Device Purchase Required: zmp
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: The plans and devices are internationally capable, and Comcast offers international roaming rates for talk, text, and data-based upon the country. Customers must call Xfinity to activate international roaming.
- Domestic Roaming: None, use is limited to native Verizon towers (not roaming partners) and the network of Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $12/GB.
- Lines permitted per account: 5
News, Videos & Status
- Xfinity Mobile Plan Changes Posted on: August 6, 2019
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Spectrum Launches Mobile Service for Home Internet Customers Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Cell Carriers Respond to Hurricane Irma Posted on: September 12, 2017
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Dish best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.