This device has been discontinued or we consider it obsolete. While current owners of this device may continue to find performance to be adequate for the foreseeable tech-future, we do not recommend upgrading to or purchasing this device.
ZTE in the News: ZTE was in the news a lot in 2018 thanks to the sanctions the company was negotiating with the US government. At one point, it seemed as if ZTE would be forced out of business.
In mid-July 2018 it looked like the dust had settled and ZTE would be able to continue releasing new products and supporting older devices, so we dropped our previous warning.
In late 2018, the Trump administration again considered a ban on ZTE and Huawei via Executive Order.
In July 2020, the U.S. government banned companies that use ZTE from receiving federal contracts.
Members, get our further analysis and follow our ongoing tracking of this story in our Special Announcements forum:
- Model Number: ZTE Velocity 2 (MF985)
- # of Connected Devices: 10 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://attwifimanager/
Default Password: "attadmin"
- USB Tethering Support:
WiFiRanger Tethering: probable, not confirmed
Pepwave Tethering: probable, not confirmed
- Supported Networks and Bands:
AT&T LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12(17), 29, 30, 66
4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
2G: GSM EDGE: No
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes (3x 20MHz channels)
- MIMO Support: 2x2
- LTE Performance Category: Category 13 up / Category 12 down
(Max Theoretical Speed: 600Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x TS9 External Antenna Ports
- Other Ports: USB-C
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Pick between 2.4GHz or 5GHz.
- Claimed Battery Life: 12hrs use time, 10 days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: CS-ZMF923SL
- Replacement Battery: Amazon
- Dimensions: 4.54'' x 2.61'' x 0.61''
- SIM Card Type: 4FF / Nano SIM
Review & Testing Status
We purchased a Velocity 2 in April 2018 on our Unlimited Plus account, and have tested it in comparison to our other AT&T devices.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
Our preliminary thoughts shared below with our members based on this testing experience.
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
No longer available from AT&T, but can be found on the secondary market.
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.