The AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet plans are intended to allow AT&T to offer residential-style service in places where AT&T does not have a wired infrastructure.
The Home Base can be activated as a line on any of AT&T's cellular plans, including their Unlimited Plus plan as a primary line - or AT&T also offers special stand alone Wireless Home Phone & Internet plans.
These plans in particular have made the Home Base appealing to some whose "homes" are on the road.
Standalone Wireless Phone & Internet Plans
Pricing for the normal Home & Internet Plans is based on capped usage:
- 25GB for $60/month
- 50GB for $100/month
These prices and data limits are nothing at all to get excited about, but...
In mid-February of 2017, AT&T also began offering even more data on its Wireless Home & Internet Plan in select "rural" markets for a limited time... and by 'more', we mean A LOT more:
- 250GB for $60/month
There was also a 500GB for $100/mo option, but that expired in May 2017.
The 250GB plan however remains available.
The catch: the 250GB plan is only available for customers with billing addresses in certain areas (Missouri, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Western PA, and Upstate New York).
Some RVers with other addresses have been able to activate the plan by finding the right representative, but results have been mixed.
Once you have a line active, it will work anywhere that AT&T has coverage.
For both the 25/50GB options and the 250/500GB options, the service charges include a home phone number with unlimited talk.
Unlike cellular smartphone plans, TXTing is not included.
Here are a few of the other key plan details:
- Domestic Roaming: Their network does have an off-carrier roaming area, and AT&T has a domestic data roaming limits of 400MB of data per month. If you exceed that, they may shut down your data access until you are back on one of their towers.
- International: This plan does not include any international roaming.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: All data is for mobile hotspot use.
- Data Roll Over: There is no data roll over for unused data with this plan - you lose it if you don't use it.
- Network Management: When used outside of the intended rural markets, the 250/500GB plan is immediately eligible for slower data management speeds when on congested towers.
- Overage Charges: For the 25/50GB plans, if you exceed your data cap, overages are charged at $10/GB, or you can elect to be automatically throttled to 128 kbps to avoid overages. For the 250GB/500GB plans, if you exceed your data cap, overages are charged at $10/10GB.
- Streaming: Unlike AT&T Mobile Share Advantage plans, these plans do not include any free video streaming on DirecTV Now.
To take advantage of this plan, you need to purchase an AT&T Home Base.
AT&T Home Base Specifications
- # of Connected Devices: 10 via Wi-Fi / More Via Ethernet
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://attwifimanager/
Default Password: "attadmin"
- Networks supported:
LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 17
4G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: No
- LTE Performance Category: Category 3
(Max Theoretical Speed: 100Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n - 2.4GHz Only
- Other Ports: 1x Fast Ethernet (100Mbps), 1x Analog Phone Jack
- Dimensions: 5.4 x 5.43 x 1.18"
- SIM Card Type: 3FF / Micro SIM
- Retail Price: $199.99
Review & Testing Status
We purchased an AT&T Home Base unit with a 250GB plan in early 2017, and used it for several months before selling it.
Unboxing Video & First Impressions
Here is our initial unboxing video of the AT&T Home Base, along with Speed Test results comparing other AT&T plans (Mobile Share Value, Unlimitedville and grandfathered unlimited iPad plan) across various devices such as the Unite Explore, Unite Pro, iPad Mini 4, and iPhone 7+.
Our members also have access to our more in-depth Product Overview & Tutorial video below.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
AT&T Homebase Rural Plan Ratings
The AT&T Wireless Home Phone & Internet is an intriguing option for those looking to take a "home like" phone and internet experience on the road.