This device has been discontinued or we consider it obsolete. While current owners of this device may continue to find performance to be adequate for the foreseeable tech-future, we do not recommend upgrading to or purchasing this device.
The Pantech MHS291L was our Verizon hotspot of choice throughout 2014 - but over time our delight faded as we discovered the issue with the MHS291L battery swelling and failing was a widespread flaw.
- Model Number: MHS291L
- # of Connected Devices: 10 (LTE) / 5 (3G) / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- USB Tethering Support:
- WiFiRanger Tethering: Works Great
- Networks supported: Verizon LTE Bands: 4, 13
4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/900/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
3G: Verizon CDMA EVDO Supported (800/1900MHz)
2G: GSM EDGE - Quad band global roaming.
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: No
- MIMO Support: 2X2
- LTE Performance Category: Category 3
(Max Theoretical Speed: 100Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x MIMO / TS9 Connectors
- Other Ports: micro-USB
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a - 2.4GHz or 5GHz
- Battery Life: 15 hours
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No (See below of a hack to get around this)
- Battery Part #: BTR291B
- Replacement Purchase: Beltron
- Dimensions: 3.62" x 2.0" x 0.72" / 4.97 oz
- SIM Card Type: 3FF / Micro SIM
- Original Retail Price: $159
Review & Testing Status
We had a Pantech MHS291L in regular use since it was first released (originally provided by Millenicom), and we have extensive experience with it. Our in-depth hands-on review is included below.
In addition, we have involved this device in other rounds of testing:
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Be careful when shopping on eBay and make sure that you're buying JUST the mobile hotspot, and not also a rental Verizon data plan.
Battery Replacement Purchase: Beltron
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.