Total Wireless is a TracFone brand offering plans on the Verizon network.
Some of Total Wireless' plans include capped mobile hotspot (tethering data) use. On plans $35 to $50, all data may be used for mobile hotspot. For plans $50 and up, up to 10GB of data per line is available for hotspot usage, which is counted against a plan's existing high speed data allotment. Data Add-On cards are incompatible with hotspot data usage.
Currently Available Plans:
- 5GB (10GB Promo)
- 25GB ('Unlimited') - 10GB Mobile Hotspot (MHS)
- 15GB (90 days - no MHS)
- 30GB (2 lines - 10GB MHS each)
- 60GB (3 lines - 10GB MHS each)
- 100GB (4 lines - 10GB MHS each)
- +5GB data tack on (not MHS eligible)
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Total Wireless plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relation: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone
- Device Types Permitted: Phones
- Device Purchase Required: No, but they do sell devices.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Some of Total Wireless' plans include capped mobile hotspot (tethering data) use. On plans $35 to $50, all data may be used for mobile hotspot. For plans $50 and up, up to 10GB of data per line is available for hotspot usage, which is counted against a plan's existing high speed data allotment. Data Add-On cards are incompatible with hotspot data usage.
- Throttling: None
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind postpaid plan customers.
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: Yes. But, Total Wireless reserves the right to terminate the Service of any customer whose roaming usage exceeds 50% of their total usage in any three (3) Plan cycles within a 12 month period.
- Plan Period: 30 or 90 days
- Data Roll Over: Unused data does not roll over to the next billing period. However, Straight Talk does offer some of their data plans on a 60-day period, instead of the typical month.
- Overage Charges: None
- Streaming: No streaming services are bundled on Total Wireless plans. Plans may come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care.
- Unlimited: Not really. Total Wireless offers 'unlimited' data plans - with capped high-speed data amounts, then 2G speed data after high-speed data is used.
- Lines: Shared data Family plans available.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: Straight Talk will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided the device has been activated on Straight Talk Service for no fewer than 12 months with service plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months. Deployed service members are also eligible for phone unlock.
Related Articles & Videos:
- Total Wireless Adds Personal Mobile Hotspot and Offers Double Data Promo Posted on: February 4, 2020
- StraightTalk Enables Mobile Hotspot on Unlimited Data Plans Posted on: October 28, 2019
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.