The 8000 is a major advancement in terms of raw cellular capability when compared to previous Sprint mobile hotspots. For the first time, gigabit LTE technologies are included in a hotspot Sprint's lineup.
The 8000 is almost identical to the Verizon flagship mobile hotspot, the Jetpack 8800L.
The two primary differences are more supported LTE bands on the MiFi 8000 and, of course, the Sprint branding.
Since the two hotspots are so similar, anyone considering the Sprint MiFi 8000 should also be sure to full read our in-depth review of the Verizon Jetpack 8800L.
There is a known issue with the MiFi 8000 spontaneously rebooting - but only on certain Sprint towers. Inseego has identified the issue and is working on a fix. We have more details on this issue in our member area below.
- Model Number: Inseego MiFi 8000
- # of Connected Devices: 15 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- USB Tethering Support:
- WiFiRanger Tethering: Not tested, but works great in the Verizon version
- Pepwave Tethering: Not tested, but works great in the Verizon version (except for Surf On-The-Go)
- Networks supported:
- Sprint LTE Bands: 25, 26, 41
- Other LTE Bands: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 20, 28, 66
- Future LTE Bands (with a software update): 1, 8, 18, 19, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 42
- LAA Bands: 46, 48 (CBRS)
- FirstNet: Band 14 (requires a FirstNet Plan to utilize)
- 4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
- 2G: GSM EDGE - Quad-band global roaming.
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, including LAA
- MIMO Support: 4X4 internal, and 2X2 external
- LTE Performance Category: Category 18 (Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports:
- 2x TS9 'Test Ports' (not official antenna ports), overrides internal 4x4 MIMO antennas
- Right port is the primary port, for uploads.
- Other Ports: USB-C
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Claimed Battery Life: 24 hours hotspot usage, multiple days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: 40123117
- Battery Purchase
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8" x 0.75" / 5.71 oz
- SIM Card Type: 4FF / Nano SIM
- Retail Price: $240 / $2.50/month with 24 month installment contract
Review & Testing Status
Inseego has sent us a review unit locked to Sprint's network - which prevented us from testing the MiFi 8000 head-to-head with other AT&T or Verizon hotspots.
We have, however, extensively reviewed the Verizon hotspot which is almost identical - the Jetpack 8800L. Please see our Verizon 8800L review for the full details.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.