The plan also includes many features found on native Sprint plans, but this offer does come with a steeper price tag than the standard $60 Boost Mobile Unlimited plan.
Details, Pricing, and Limitations
The Boost Mobile "Ultimate Unlimited" offer includes:
Plan Pricing and Features:
- First line: $80/month
- Additional Lines: $60/month
- Mobile Hotspot: 40GB per line at high speed, then 2G speeds
- Video Streaming: Capped at 1080p resolution (Music streams up to 1.5 Mbps, gaming streams up to 8 Mbps)
- Network Management: 35GB
- International Use: Includes International Plus addon (normally a $10/month extra). Free talk/text roaming in Canada and Mexico and 70 countries, but no data roaming.
- Included Subscriptions: Tidal Premium music service.
Comparison with Sprint
The big advantage of the Boost Mobile plan is the 40GB Mobile Hotspot Data (25GB more than the native Sprint plan). That extra data comes with some major tradeoffs, however:
- $10 more base price and more expensive multi-line pricing:
- 1 Line: $80/month ($70/month with Sprint)
- 2 Lines: $140/month ($120/month with Sprint)
- 3 Lines: $200/month ($150/month with Sprint)
- Each additional Line: $60/month ($30/month with Sprint)
- Lower network management threshold (35GB instead of 50GB) - It's a bit unusual to see a network management cap that is lower than the mobile hotspot cap. This means that at least some of the mobile hotspot data will be subject to network management.
- No free international data roaming
- No free Hulu
- Limited coverage area - Boost Mobile, like other MVNO's, does not have free access to Sprint's extended roaming partners (which now includes T-Mobile), so that 40GB of data can only be used in native Sprint coverage areas:
But all that mobile hotspot data will come with some serious tradeoffs. Potential customers will need to ensure that these tradeoffs will be worth it for 40GB of hotspot data, especially the very limited Boost Mobile coverage area, and the expensive multi-line pricing. For those that want or need Sprint data, there are other options to consider, including data-only options:
- Sprint offers a 50GB for $50 hotspot plan.
- FMCA members have access to the FMCA $49.99/mo unlimited Sprint hotspot plan.
Still, it's nice to see an MVNO offer something that goes beyond the native carrier option, particularly mobile hotspot data - a feature that is so important to the RV and Cruiser community.