AT&T has added two new lower-end postpaid smartphone plans to coexist with their line-up of Unlimited Your Way unlimited smartphone plans. In addition, the Unlimited Your Way Unlimited Starter plan now includes 3GB of mobile hotspot data.
AT&T postpaid offers consumers three Unlimited Your Way unlimited smartphone plan options. These include the Elite, Extra, and Starter smartphone plans. Previously the Starter smartphone plan offered no mobile hotspot data. As of 3/2/22 this plan now offers 3GB of mobile hotspot data, followed by unlimited mobile hotspot data throttled to 128 Kbps speeds. Existing customers on the Starter plan will have this 3GB of mobile hotspot added within the next few billing cycles.
AT&T has added two new smartphone plans - listed as 'other plans' - for consumers. These plans are not considered Unlimited Your Way plans and cannot be combined in a mix-and-match fashion with those plans.
The Value Plus plan is priced at $50/line ($60 without autopay) and cannot be combined with any other plans for multi-line discounts. You can have more than one device with a Value Plus plan on a single account, however. Value Plus features unlimited on-device data that is always subject to network management, no use of mobile hotspot data, and 480p streaming. Canada/Mexico roaming is included on this plan, however, roaming off AT&T's network partners may be limited to 2G speed.
The new 4GB smartphone plan offers 4GB of highspeed data on a smartphone device. The data is not subject to network management. No mobile hotspot use is permitted. 5G use is not included on this plan. Canada/Mexico roaming is included up to plan limits, however, roaming off AT&T's network partners may be limited to 2G speed.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- The 3GB of mobile hotspot data upgrade for the Unlimited Starter Plan does not push it into the realm of usefulness for those seeking a home internet replacement.
- Neither of the new AT&T postpaid smartphone plans offer any mobile hotspot data, rendering them limited in use for those seeking a home internet replacement.
- AT&T postpaid's Unlimited Elite smartphone plan remains a Top Pick choice for the data-hungry nomadic crowd, offering 40GB of shareable high-speed data. Even better is the business version of the plan - if you're eligible.
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Gear Center: AT&T Postpaid Plans Gear Center
- Guide: Cellular Carrier Data Plan Pricing Guide & Comparative Spreadsheet
- AT&T Raises Price on 100GB Prepaid Hotspot/Router Data Plan - Now $90/mo Posted on: June 22, 2022
- FMCA Tech Connect+ Data Plan Transitioning from T-Mobile to AT&T - $59.99/mo Unlimited Hotspot Posted on: June 7, 2022
- AT&T Unlimited Premium Replaces Unlimited Elite for Consumers: Now With 50GB Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: June 6, 2022
- Cellphone Carriers Planning Price Increases Posted on: May 16, 2022
- New AT&T Flagship Hotspots Announced: Netgear Nighthawk M6 and M6 Pro, First With Qualcomm X65 Modem Posted on: April 22, 2022
- AT&T Adds Value Plus Postpaid Smartphone Plan, Unlimited Starter Now Includes 3GB of Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: March 2, 2022
- AT&T Signs 3G Roaming Agreement with T-Mobile Posted on: February 22, 2022