AT&T rolled out a price and data increase for those on legacy Mobile Share Value smartphone plans. All Value plans, starting with the 30GB option and going up, will get 15 additional GB of data, but that data will cost $10 more. For example, the 30GB plan will become a 45GB plan with a base cost of $140/month. There is no way for customers to opt-out of this increase.
AT&T has a long history of increasing prices and sometimes data terms on grandfathered plans which are designed to continue to make legacy plans relevant in terms of features, but also to entice customers to switch to unlimited plans. This latest move is only the most recent for the Mobile Share Value plans, which were retired in 2016. In February 2019, AT&T doubled data or added 30GB on these plans for a $5-$10 price increase.
So, should you switch because of these changes?
It depends. 15GB for $10 is a good value for those who want to keep the plan but need some extra data. For those who don't need the extra data, however, this change is likely to be an unwelcome and unneeded price increase.
AT&T's current generation of tiered data smartphone plan is called Mobile Share Plus and is only available in 3GB and 9GB levels, so this isn't a good option for those who need more data. The only alternative AT&T postpaid option for those who need more data is an unlimited plan, which comes with mobile hotspot data caps.
- AT&T Increases Prices and Data on Mobile Share Value Plans Again - 15GB for $10 on Most Plans Posted on: November 8, 2019
- AT&T and FTC Finally Settle - $60 Million Payout For Deceptively Throttled "Unlimited" Plans Posted on: November 6, 2019
- AT&T Offering Limited-Time $20 AutoPay Discount on Prepaid Unlimited and Unlimited Plus Plans Posted on: November 1, 2019
- AT&T Announces New Smartphone Plans - Unlimited Starter, Extra, and Elite Posted on: October 31, 2019
- Connected Car Promotion - Unlimited AT&T Data for $15/Month Posted on: September 3, 2019
- AT&T Releases New USB Modem Option: AT&T Global Modem USB800 by Inseego Posted on: August 30, 2019
- AT&T Prepaid Changes - New 8GB Plan and Autopay + Watch TV Promotion Posted on: August 5, 2019
- WifiRanger Offers AT&T-Based Data Plans Posted on: July 31, 2019
- OTR Mobile Changes AT&T Based Unlimited Plan Lineup Posted on: July 25, 2019
- Sprint Rolls Out 5G in Four Cities - Leaps Ahead of AT&T and Verizon in Coverage, Debuts HTC 5G Hub Posted on: May 31, 2019