AT&T rolled out a price and data increase for those on legacy Mobile Share Value smartphone plans. All Value plans, starting with the 30GB option and going up, will get 15 additional GB of data, but that data will cost $10 more. For example, the 30GB plan will become a 45GB plan with a base cost of $140/month. There is no way for customers to opt-out of this increase.
AT&T has a long history of increasing prices and sometimes data terms on grandfathered plans which are designed to continue to make legacy plans relevant in terms of features, but also to entice customers to switch to unlimited plans. This latest move is only the most recent for the Mobile Share Value plans, which were retired in 2016. In February 2019, AT&T doubled data or added 30GB on these plans for a $5-$10 price increase.
So, should you switch because of these changes?
It depends. 15GB for $10 is a good value for those who want to keep the plan but need some extra data. For those who don't need the extra data, however, this change is likely to be an unwelcome and unneeded price increase.
AT&T's current generation of tiered data smartphone plan is called Mobile Share Plus and is only available in 3GB and 9GB levels, so this isn't a good option for those who need more data. The only alternative AT&T postpaid option for those who need more data is an unlimited plan, which comes with mobile hotspot data caps.
- AT&T Ends Sponsored Data Program - No More Data-Free Wireless Streaming With Some Services Posted on: March 17, 2021
- AT&T To Add 5G Access to Some Legacy Postpaid Unlimited Plans Posted on: March 15, 2021
- Verizon Goes Big in C-Band Auction - Investing Billions in 5G Spectrum Posted on: March 1, 2021
- AT&T Business Try-And-Buy Program Offers 50GB of Data for 30 Days on a Moxee Hotspot for Free Posted on: February 18, 2021
- Boom! Mobile Adds New Black (AT&T) 50-750GB/month Data Plans on the BOOMFi Hotspot Device Posted on: February 10, 2021
- New Turbo Hotspot 2 by Wingtech for Cricket Wireless and AT&T Business Posted on: January 27, 2021
- Cricket Simply Data Plan Introduces Device Restrictions - Do NOT MOVE SIM CARDS from Routers! Posted on: January 24, 2021
- Coverage? App Now Includes Maps for 5G, Canadian Carriers and U.S. Cellular Posted on: December 18, 2020
- FCC's Massive C-Band Auction Begins - Shaping The Future of 5G Posted on: December 8, 2020
- Verizon, T-Mobile & AT&T Fixed Home Cellular Service - A Growing Wireless Market That is Not Mobile-Friendly Posted on: October 12, 2020