Verizon rolled out a new entry-level smartphone plan called "Welcome Unlimited" to compete with other entry-level budget options from competitors. Welcome Unlimited, costs $65/month for one line, including autopay, or $30/month per line for four lines. Welcome Unlimited is definitely no frills and comes with even fewer features than the basic 5G Start plan.
Most significantly for the nomad community, the Welcome Unlimited plan does not include any mobile hotspot data and all on-device data is deprioritized.
At press time the Verizon website had conflicting information, but the fine print indicates that Welcome Unlimited may not include Verizon's standard Canada and Mexico coverage. Additionally, the plan is not eligible for some device promotions, and you cannot mix and match plans with any of their higher-priced Unlimited plans.
Verizon seems to be trying to lure new customers by offering a bare-bones, low-dollar plan similarly priced to other carriers' base offerings as well as budget prepaid and MVNO providers and is not of significant interest to our audience of nomads, RVers, and boaters.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- Welcome Unlimited is not a nomad-friendly option as it doesn't include any mobile hotspot data.
- All data used on the plan is deprioritized.
- The plan cannot be paired or mixed and matched with Verizon's better 5G unlimited plans.
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Guide: Considerations for Selecting Data Plans
- Content Collection: Cellular Data Plans
- Gear: Verizon Postpaid Consumer Plans
- Verizon's "Welcome Unlimited" - A Budget, No Frills Smartphone Plan With No Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: July 12, 2022
- Cellphone Carriers Planning Price Increases Posted on: May 16, 2022
- Verizon Begins Plans to Migrate Tracfone Customers to Their Network After Acquisition Posted on: March 1, 2022
- 5G Industry Update: Is 2022 The Year 5G Gets Interesting? Posted on: February 17, 2022
- C-Band 5G Rolls Out on Verizon and AT&T, T-Mobile Enables 5G Carrier Aggregation Posted on: January 19, 2022
- Verizon Releases Firmware System Update 3 for Inseego 8800L Mobile Hotspots Posted on: January 17, 2022
- Verizon Ends Unlimited 5G Ultra Wideband Mobile Hotspot - Except Prepaid? Posted on: January 10, 2022