Yahoo! Mobile is an app-based Verizon direct prepaid brand for smartphones.
All Yahoo! Mobile data usage is always subject to network management. Video is reduced to 480p resolution as well (DVD quality).
Yahoo! Mobile does not include any Canada, Mexico or international calling, texting, or data usage.
Currently Available Plan:
- Unlimited: $39.99/month - single line
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relationship: Direct subsidiary
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Compatible smartphone models
- Unlimited: Yes
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes, for one device at a time and throttled to 5Mbps
- Throttling: On-device data is full-speed. Hotspot data is throttled to a maximum speed of 5 Mbps
- Network Management: Always
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, with a compatible device and in an area where 5G service is available
- Device Purchase Required: No
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: None
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: None
- Lines permitted per account: 1
- Extras: Plan is activated and terminated via the Yahoo app. Yahoo! Pro Email is included with the plan - with up to 1k GB of storage.
News, Videos & Status
Testing Status: In April 2019, one of our team members acquired a Visible plan, which is a very very similar service provided as a sister company of Yahoo! Mobile. In June 2019, the line was re-activated to test the new high-speed on-device data offer made by Visible.
Our hands-on report is shared on our Visible Gear Center page.
- Visible Makes Changes to Party Pay, Referral Codes, and International Calling/Texting Posted on: February 9, 2021
- Visible Enables 5G Support - Verizon's 5G Network For As Little As $25/mo Posted on: December 15, 2020
- Cellular Carriers Add Extra Data in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic Posted on: March 24, 2020
- Verizon Launches Yahoo!Mobile - Based on Visible - Unlimited Data for $39.99 Posted on: March 11, 2020
- Visible Introduces Party Pay - Reducing Cost of Unlimited Verizon Plan to As Low as $25/month Posted on: October 31, 2019
- Visible Removes Speed Cap from $40/month Unlimited Verizon Plan - Mobile Hotspot Remains Throttled at 5Mbps Posted on: June 26, 2019
- Verizon Based Visible $40/mo Smartphone Plan Enables Android Compatibility, Hotspot Use Official Posted on: January 24, 2019
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Thoughts & Analysis
- Cheap, unlimited data option
- Full speed data on device
- Verizon 4G LTE Native coverage area
- Mobile hotspot use included, capped to 5 Mbps
- No activation fees
- Includes Yahoo Pro Email with plan
- Requires shipment of a physical Visible SIM card first (free)
- All mobile hotspot data is throttled to a maximum of 5mbps speed
- Higher ping times
- Always subject to network management
- Hotspot is limited to a single device connection at a time
- Phone lines only - no tablet or Jetpack option
- No access to Verizon's roaming partners or 3G coverage map
If you are interested in Yahoo! Mobile, we strongly suggest researching Visible instead - it's the same service, but can be cheaper with PartyPay.
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
Here's a video going over the 'limits' on so-called 'unlimited' data plans:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides to help with selecting gear and your signal enhancing strategy: