This device has been discontinued or we consider it obsolete. While current owners of this device may continue to find performance to be adequate for the foreseeable tech-future, we do not recommend upgrading to or purchasing this device.
This device is still technologically relevant, but is no longer available directly from AT&T. If you find a good deal on one, it's a fine choice. If you're considering a new purchase, look at the Netgear Nighthawk for maximum future proofing.
AT&T's 2016 flagship mobile hotspot.
The Unite Explore's signature feature is that it is designed to "brave the outdoors and the bumps of everyday life" by being the first rugged mobile hotspot from both Netgear and AT&T.
The Unite Explore's specs are now eclipsed by AT&T's newest flagship Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot, but in terms of ruggedness the Explore reigns supreme. In addition, until AT&T cellular grid tech catches up with the Nighthawk's tech, the Unite Explore is functionally competitive.
- # of Connected Devices: 15 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
WiFiRanger Tethering: Tested & works
Pepwave Tethering: Tested & works (not officially supported)
MoFi Tethering: Tested & works
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://attwifimanager/
Default Password: "attadmin"
- Cellular Networks Supported:
LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29, 30
4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
2G: GSM EDGE Quad Band - Global Roaming
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes (2x 20MHz Channels - eventually 3x 20MHz Channels)
- LTE Performance Category: Category 9
(Max Theoretical Speed: 450Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x MIMO / TS9 Connectors (Left is Primary)
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8" x 0.8" / 6.3 oz
- SIM Card Type: 3FF / Micro SIM
- Retail Price: $199 ($49.99 with two year contract)
Review & Testing Status
Netgear supplied us an evaluation unit in May 2016, and after a couple months of using the device we issued our full in-depth review available in the member section below.
In addition, we have included this unit several other rounds of testing, members can see our field testing results:
- Cellular Signal & Embedded Router Field Testing – IBR900 | MAX-BR1 | Drive Sleek | MIMO Antennas (1st Quarter 2018)
- Cellular Equipment Field Testing Results – Netgear Modems / USB730 (Late 2017)
- Cellular Signal Enhancing Field Testing Results (Late 2016)
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
Content Included In the Member Sections Below:
- Video Overview & Tutorial
- Hardware Notes
- Software & UI Notes
- Performance Testing
- Alternatives to Consider
- Concluding Thoughts
- Recommended Settings
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
- Search eBay
- Mr. Aberthon - Online retailer specializing in unlocked hotpsots. Check their ordering FAQ page for potential promotional discounts.
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.