Starting April 6th, AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan customers will be able to binge on Silicon Valley and Game of Thrones - for free.
Yep, AT&T has added HBO access - at no additional charge - for all current and future customers who partake in their 'Unlimited Plus' plan.
And, streaming HBO on this plan doesn’t count against the data cap, a practice known as zero rating.
This is in addition to AT&T's ongoing offer of a $25 monthly video credit to be applied towards DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV for Unlimited Plus plan customers.
As per AT&T's newsroom announcement:
AT&T Unlimited Plus customers will benefit from HBO included in their wireless plan as follows:
- If you currently subscribe to HBO through an AT&T video service – DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV – HBO will now be included for no additional charge.
- If you subscribe to an AT&T video service but not HBO, you’ll automatically receive access to the premium HBO channels as part of your wireless plan.
- If you don’t subscribe to an AT&T video service, you can access your HBO content through the DIRECTV NOW and HBO Go apps. *
* To sign up for HBO via DirecTV Now without subscribing to other channels, follow these directions:
- Go to DirecTVNow.com
- Go to the Sign In Page, and Click to Create an Account (by selecting 'Don't Have DIRECTV NOW?')
- Click the 'Verify Number' link under the promotion information.
- Enter in your phone number associated with your AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan, and then respond to the TXT message sent to your phone (leaving the pop-up instructions visible in your browser).
- The pop-up should auto-update once you confirm eligibility, and you'll be presented with the option to subscribe, for free, to just HBO and proceed with setting up an account.
- Download the DirecTV Now App on your smartphone, log in and stream away!
The Unlimited Plus plan is AT&T's 'higher-end' version of its unlimited data options, offering unlimited data, talk, and text, and 10GB of Wi-Fi tethering per smartphone (after 10GB, max speed 128Kbps). You can also add a dedicated hotspot to this plan and access unlimited data without 10GB tethering restrictions. After 22GB of data usage per line, network management kicks in. This plan allows for high-definition video.
Currently, the plan costs $90 for a single line, $145 for two lines, and $20 for each additional line up to 5 lines, before taxes and fees.
Oh, and HBO is included in AT&T's 'data free TV' category - meaning that any streaming of HBO (or other sponsored media) does not count towards the 22GB network management threshold. And, if you stream through a mobile device's hotspot, data won't count towards your 10GB limit if streaming to a device like a computer or a tablet - as long as you're streaming through the proper channels (i.e. HBO Go app, DirecTV Now app). Data will count towards your 10GB if you are streaming to a device such as an Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick. More info on these type of restrictions can be found here.
If you're an AT&T Unlimited Plus customer, or were thinking about becoming one - you might want to stock up on 'TV snacks' - looks like you're in for a serious binge session.
TV & Movie Entertainment on the Road: Streaming, Downloading & Alternatives (Some Member Exclusive Info)
AT&T Tries Again: New Unlimited Plans (News Story)