UPDATE (9/12/17): AT&T's has now extended their offer of free HBO service to those who are on the Unlimited Choice plan rather than only those who are on the Unlimited Plus Plan. This offer begins September 15th. All AT&T Unlimited Plus and AT&T Unlimited Choice customers will now get a $25 monthly video credit on applicable AT&T video services. AT&T Unlimited Plus customers can use this credit towards DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV. AT&T Unlimited Choice customers can apply this to their DIRECTV NOW service.
(Original Story 4/5/17): Starting April 6th, AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan customers will be able to binge on Silicon Valley and Game of Thrones - for free.
Yep, AT&T has added HBO access - at no additional charge - for all current and future customers who partake in their
'Unlimited Plus' unlimited plans.
And, streaming HBO on this plan doesn’t count against the data cap, a practice known as zero rating.
This is in addition to AT&T's ongoing offer of a $25 monthly video credit to be applied towards DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV for Unlimited Plus plan customers. As of 9/15/17, AT&T Unlimited Choice customers can apply their credit to DIRECTV NOW.
As per AT&T's newsroom announcement: (4/5/17)
AT&T Unlimited Plus customers will benefit from HBO included in their wireless plan as follows:
- If you currently subscribe to HBO through an AT&T video service – DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW or U-verse TV – HBO will now be included for no additional charge.
- If you subscribe to an AT&T video service but not HBO, you’ll automatically receive access to the premium HBO channels as part of your wireless plan.
- If you don’t subscribe to an AT&T video service, you can access your HBO content through the DIRECTV NOW and HBO Go apps. *
* To sign up for HBO via DirecTV Now without subscribing to other channels, follow these directions:
- Go to DirecTVNow.com
- Go to the Sign In Page, and Click to Create an Account (by selecting 'Don't Have DIRECTV NOW?')
- Click the 'Verify Number' link under the promotion information.
- Enter in your phone number associated with your AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan, and then respond to the TXT message sent to your phone (leaving the pop-up instructions visible in your browser).
- The pop-up should auto-update once you confirm eligibility, and you'll be presented with the option to subscribe, for free, to just HBO and proceed with setting up an account.
- Download the DirecTV Now App on your smartphone, log in and stream away!
The Unlimited Plus plan is AT&T's 'higher-end' version of its unlimited data options, offering unlimited data, talk, and text, and 10GB of Wi-Fi tethering per smartphone (after 10GB, max speed 128Kbps). You can also add a dedicated hotspot to this plan and access unlimited data without 10GB tethering restrictions. After 22GB of data usage per line, network management kicks in. This plan allows for high-definition video.
Currently, the plan costs $90 for a single line, $145 for two lines, and $20 for each additional line up to 5 lines, before taxes and fees.
Oh, and HBO is included in AT&T's 'data free TV' category - meaning that any streaming of HBO (or other sponsored media) does not count towards the 22GB network management threshold. And, if you stream through a mobile device's hotspot, data won't count towards your 10GB limit if streaming to a device like a computer or a tablet - as long as you're streaming through the proper channels (i.e. HBO Go app, DirecTV Now app). Data will count towards your 10GB if you are streaming to a device such as an Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick. More info on these type of restrictions can be found here.
If you're an AT&T Unlimited Plus customer, or were thinking about becoming one - you might want to stock up on 'TV snacks' - looks like you're in for a serious binge session.
TV & Movie Entertainment on the Road: Streaming, Downloading & Alternatives (Some Member Exclusive Info)
AT&T Tries Again: New Unlimited Plans (News Story)