ORIGINAL STORY - 5/11/18: A new Verizon plan has been making its way across the interwebs this week, and we've been fielding a number of questions about our thoughts on it.
While we love seeing new Verizon based plans pop-up, the new inexpensive, prepaid Verizon offering, called Visible, is pretty invisible in its application for mobile internet seekers.
Yes, we went there.
This new app based $40/month phone plan runs on Verizon service and offers customers unlimited calling, text, and slowed data on their mobile phone devices.
Data speeds are always capped at 5mbps, and all data usage is always subject to network management. Video is reduced to 420p resolution as well (DVD quality).
Updates to this story:
- Visible Enables 5G Support - Verizon's 5G Network For As Little As $25/mo Posted on: December 15, 2020
- Cellular Carriers Add Extra Data in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic Posted on: March 24, 2020
- Verizon Launches Yahoo!Mobile - Based on Visible - Unlimited Data for $39.99 Posted on: March 11, 2020
- Visible Introduces Party Pay - Reducing Cost of Unlimited Verizon Plan to As Low as $25/month Posted on: October 31, 2019
- Visible Removes Speed Cap from $40/month Unlimited Verizon Plan - Mobile Hotspot Remains Throttled at 5Mbps Posted on: June 26, 2019
- Verizon Based Visible $40/mo Smartphone Plan Enables Android Compatibility, Hotspot Use Official Posted on: January 24, 2019
- Visible by Verizon is Officially Available to (almost) All Posted on: September 27, 2018
- Verizon Based Visible Prepaid Service Enables Mobile Hotspot Feature On Beta Basis Posted on: June 22, 2018
- Visible: New $40/month Unlimited On Device Verizon Based Phone Plan Posted on: May 11, 2018
Visible does not include any international calling, texting, or data usage - including use in our friendly neighbors to the North and South - Canada or Mexico.
Video version of this story:
Prefer Video? Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
The way Visible works is kind of neat though. Similar in access to Project Fi, the service can be controlled completely from the Visible app - from set-up to termination.
As of this writing (May 2018) the app is available only to iOS users, and you must have a compatible Apple iPhone to use the service. Currently, most models of the iPhone will work with Visible, with the exception of the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 models. There is no current option to host the plan on a tablet device.
And initially, potential customers must have an invite code from an existing Visible customer to activate service. We've seen some codes circulating around the internet.
A $40/month price point with reportedly easy start-up and termination of service (you can do it on an app!) might make this an appealing smartphone plan to complement your data only options.
If you're looking for more than the ability to call, text, surf the web or watch media on your phone - you'll want to consider other plans.
Even those who are thrifty and utilize mirroring gear to use on-device data for watching movies and TV shows will find this plan lackluster - with video capped at 480p quality, you may find mirrored content obnoxiously grainy.