Visible is Verizon's wholly-own prepaid brand for smartphones that offer unlimited data, including mobile hotspot use.
Visible is a popular prepaid smartphone option for the Verizon network and one of our Top Pick plans.
Visible has always had terms of service that state that their plans can only be used in smartphones. But Visible has, until recently, either been unable or unwilling to enforce those terms consistently, and many people discovered that using a Visible SIM in a data-only device like a cellular router or mobile hotspot would just work, and provide unlimited data, although capped at 5Mbps speeds.
Well, now it seems that Visible is cracking down on this practice. Previously, Visible only went after accounts that used a a high amount of data, but now Visible is sending warning emails to many users, and we've seen many reports of users getting warning letters which haven't used much data:
We have reviewed your Visible account, and we have determined that you’re currently using an unauthorized device to access your Visible Service. According to our Visible Service Terms and Conditions , we can limit, suspend, or end your Service for any cause, including if you “attempt to use our Service on an unauthorized device.” The use of unapproved devices can negatively impact our network and impair our ability to provide our Service to other members. As a result, we’re sending this notice as a warning and to inform you that you are required to move your Service to an authorized Smartphone device. If we continue to see similar usage in the future, we reserve the right to terminate your service.
Those using Visible in unauthorized devices should be prepared to receive a warning if they haven't already and plan to switch to a different service that is compatible with their data-only devices. Our Top Picks Plans guide has all the best and currently-available options.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- Visible is cracking down on using its service on unauthorized devices.
- Visible has always had device restrictions in its terms of service but has rarely enforced them.
- Those who have used Visible in a router or mobile hotspot should plan for alternatives.
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Guide: Top Pick Data Plans
- Guide: Ways To Use Cellular Data To Get Online: Mobile Hotspot, Smartphone, Tablet Or Router?
- Resources: All our cellular data content
Related News Stories
- Visible Lowers Price of Basic Plan to $25 Posted on: August 1, 2023
- Visible Forcing Customers on Legacy Visible Unlimited Plan to Switch to New Plans Posted on: July 6, 2023
- Visible Cracks Down On Unauthorized Device Use Posted on: June 15, 2023
- Visible Revamps Plan Lineup And Retires Party Pay Posted on: August 17, 2022
- Visible Now Offers 15 Day Trial of Smartphone Plan via eSIM Posted on: January 6, 2022