Earlier this month nationwide cellular carrier Verizon re-tooled all of their postpaid plans.
One of the popular new features is 'Safety Mode' which allows customers to choose what happens when they hit their data cap - be charged overages, or be throttled to slower speeds.
Now Verizon is introducing a similar concept for their prepaid customers that they are calling Always-On Data.
For plans that include data, instead of shutting off data services (as happened before), customers will be able to continue surfing as 128kbps. These are speeds just fast enough for basic web tasks like checking e-mail.
Customers who would like to continue with high speed data for the remainder of their prepaid period, can purchase data add-ons. For smartphone plans the cost is $5 for 500mb to be used within 30 days, and $10 for 1GB or $20 for 3GB (which can be used within 90 days).
The new feature is at no additional charge (much to the disappointment of postpaid customers who have to pay extra for the feature on lower plans). New customers will be getting the feature effective immediately, and the feature will roll out to existing prepaid customers in the near term future.
Verizon offers two prepaid plans for smartphones that includes data: 3 GB of is $45 a month, and 6 GB for $60 a month. Both plans include use of mobile hotspot for sharing with other devices. They also offer data only hotspot and tablet plans, and at present time it appears Always-On data will apply to these plans as well.
Recent Verizon News Stories:
- Verizon Introduces "SmartHub" Home Internet Replacement - With A Huge Catch! Posted on: May 25, 2017
- Verizon Prepaid Offers Unlimited Data - With Many Caveats Posted on: April 26, 2017
- FCC's 600MHz Auction Concludes: T-Mobile Wins Big Nationwide Posted on: April 20, 2017
- ALERT: Verizon Now Enforcing 10GB Hotspot Limit with New "Unlimited" Plan! Posted on: April 18, 2017
- Major Update to 'Coverage?' Released - Featuring HD Maps & Android Support Posted on: April 18, 2017
Cellular Data Pricing Guide (Member Only)