Once you've decided on what gear you'll use for enhancing your signals for WiFi and/or cellular, you'll need to install them. Installation can be tricky, especially since the components must be secure, unobtrusive, weatherproof and meet any height limitations. Additionally, running the necessary wires in an RV or boat can sometimes be difficult. Directionality can also be an issue since a mobile installation is, well, mobile! Unlike with a fixed location, mobile antenna installations need to account for the unique challenges inherent to a boat or RV.
Included in this Guide:
- Antenna Placement
- Mounting Methods and Examples
- Cable Routing and Management
Pardon our Dust!
We are working on re-writting the 5th Edition of The Mobile Internet Handbook - due out early 2018.
This edition of the book will be going back to the basics - the original 'handbook' intentions. Technology is changing so often, that keeping some of our resources in a book format just no longer makes sense. So we are working on bringing over more advanced chapters of the book as online guides that will become part of our Mobile Internet University.
As always, our content will have a mix of free/public and member exclusive content.
We anticipate these new guides will be ready around the same time we're aiming to launch the new Book (early 2018).
While this guide is being polished, please refer to our existing online guide, which this guide will replace:
Is internet essential to your mobile lifestyle?
It is our passion to provide informative unbiased content and have made it our job to track this constantly evolving industry.
We stay on top of the technology
so that you can focus on what drives you!
We could not provide any of this without the support of those who chose to become members funding this resource center. We do not accept sponsorships, third party advertising and we do not resell products or gear. We strive to be an unbiased community funded resource.
Become a member starting at $65/year
Our premium membership - Mobile Internet Aficionados - is designed for those who consider internet essential for their mobile lifestyle.
In thanks for their support our members go deeper with our content - and receive benefits that help them save money, stay up to date, learn, get guidance and make informed choices.
Our goal is to save you time, money and frustration.
Other Resources We Offer:
- Our book: The Mobile Internet Handbook (5th Edition now available!).
- Our glossary: Mobile Internet Glossary
- Our app: Coverage? overlays the cellular carrier's coverage maps so you can better plan your travels around connectivity.
- Stay in the Know - We track the industry and analyze new developments for mobile travelers:
- Browse our Resource Center / Guides for more detailed guides.
- Go to school in our Mobile Internet University which walks you through the basics to the more advanced at your pace.
- Browse our Gear Center for information on gear & plans we track.
- Visit our Video Center for guides, tutorials and news stories.
- Have questions?