Peplink released a new version of its entry-level cellular router, the Pepwave BR1 Mini, which is a complete redesign of the previous model in this lineup. Although it carries the same BR1 Mini name, it's what Peplink calls the Hardware Version 3 model (HW3) and is significantly different from its predecessor.
This new version is completely redesigned with an upgraded processor and internals that support 300Mbps of router throughput, triple that of the previous model. Unfortunately, the cellular modem options remain the same with either a Cat-4 or a CAT 6 modem.
Other changes from the previous version include:
- Wi-Fi 5 - The new BR1 Mini supports WiFi 5 (802.11ac) and simultaneous 2.4ghz and 5ghz dual-band support. The previous BR1 mini only had 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi.
- Gigabit Ethernet - The new BR1 Mini comes with three Gigabit Ethernet ports compared to the two Fast (100Mbps) ports on the previous version.
Like the previous model, the BR1 Mini HW3 requires paying an additional one-time $100 fee to active a "feature pack" that enables Ethernet WAN, Wi-Fi-as-WAN, Hot Failover, and WAN Smoothing.
The BR1 Mini (HW3) with a Cat-6 modem is available for preorder for $449 - $50 more than the previous version - and is expected to be available at the end of May 2022. Pricing for the Cat-4 model was not yet available at press time.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- MAX BR1 Mini (HW3) is a completely redesigned version with several important upgrades for a modest $50 price increase.
- The new BR1 Mini does not, unfortunately, come with new modem options which are still limited to low-end Cat-4 and Cat-6 versions.
- Most mobile internet users will likely want a device with better cellular modems, but the redesigned BR1 Mini can work for those with more basic needs.
Where to Purchase
If you're interested in purchasing any of the items mentioned in this article, here are affiliate links for the vendors where they can be purchased. Using these links helps support MIRC's mission.
If you're an MIA, please be logged in to use your vendor discounts instead - they pass along our affiliate kickbacks to you!
Affiliate Vendor Links - Using these links helps support MIRC's mission (MIAs, please log in to get special discounts):
- MobileMustHave: MAX BR1 Mini (HW3) Cat 7 | Full Timer VR3 Internet Bundle
- MobileMustHave Internet Bundles (discounted kits with antenna & other options / member discounts stack - learn more)
- TechnoRV: MAX BR1 Mini (HW3) Cat 7
- Amazon: MAX BR1 MINI Cat 7
Other Vendors (non-affiliate):
- 5G Store: MAX BR1 Mini (HW3) Cat 7
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Gear Center: Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini
- Gear Center: Pepwave Product Lineup
- Peplink Offers Promotional Discounts On Balance 20X & MAX BR2 Pro Posted on: May 23, 2023
- Peplink Lowers Price of MAX BR1 Mini Cat-7 Model to $399 Posted on: May 15, 2023
- Peplink Firmware 8.3 Is Packed With New Features: Synergy Mode, Dynamic Weighted Bonding, Unlimited SpeedFusion Data and Virtual WAN Posted on: February 23, 2023
- Peplink Lowers Price of MAX Transit Duo Pro Router to $999 & Updates Name Posted on: November 21, 2022
- Cellular Modem Update: Fall 2022 5G & LTE Developments Posted on: October 12, 2022
- Peplink Releases The UBR Plus Router With Dual Cat-7 Modems Posted on: September 29, 2022
- Peplink Releases The HD1 Dome Pro Outdoor 5G Cellular Router Posted on: August 4, 2022