Today, however, making calls is just another app for what has become an incredible pocket-sized technological Swiss Army knife.
For many people, a smartphone has replaced their camera, their GPS navigation system, their game console, their CD rack, and for some, it has replaced their need for a separate computer entirely.
And for many, smartphones are a primary conduit to the internet – both directly and as a hotspot serving other devices.
Choosing a smartphone is a personal decision, and there is no universal best pick. Take some time to figure out what feels right. Get some hands-on time with both the hardware and the operating system. Don’t be swayed by splashy commercials, try not to focus on price, and absolutely do not lend any credence to the recommendations of store clerks.
You will need to make up your own mind, but here is some of our key advice, from a mobile internet perspective, to help steer you in the right direction.
Join us on April 25 for our member exclusive webinar and Q&A on this topic. Check the Video Center for broadcast details. The archive will become part of this guide.
Included in this Guide:
- Video Overview (coming soon!)
- Selecting a Smartphone Platform
- Buying Used Phones
- Other Considerations
- Phone Features
- SIM Cards & Migrating Between Devices
We are honored to be funded by our community - allowing us to provide free basic content on this resource center.
We do not resell products, gear or plans and do not accept sponsorships or 3rd party advertising - our goal is to be an unbiased informational and educational resource.
In thanks for their support, our premium members get access to the more in-depth portions of this guide- and first access to new content created.
If you're a member, please log in for full access to this guide - or if you're not yet:
Other benefits of a premium membership include:
- Product Reviews
- Mobile Internet University (our classroom) & Book
- Special MIA Newsletters & Alerts
- Discounts (which can save you more than the cost of membership!)
- Private Q&A forums & Interactive webinars
- A community of fellow nomads relying on mobile internet
Is internet essential to your mobile lifestyle?
It is our passion to provide informative unbiased content and have made it our job to track this constantly evolving industry.
We stay on top of the technology
so that you can focus on what drives you!
We could not provide any of this without the support of those who chose to become members funding this resource center. We do not accept sponsorships, third party advertising and we do not resell products or gear. We strive to be an unbiased community funded resource.
Become a member starting at $65/year
Our premium membership - Mobile Internet Aficionados - is designed for those who consider internet essential for their mobile lifestyle.
In thanks for their support our members go deeper with our content - and receive benefits that help them save money, stay up to date, learn, get guidance and make informed choices.
Our goal is to save you time, money and frustration.
Other Resources We Offer:
- Our book: The Mobile Internet Handbook (5th Edition now available!).
- Our glossary: Mobile Internet Glossary
- Our app: Coverage? overlays the cellular carrier's coverage maps so you can better plan your travels around connectivity.
- Stay in the Know - We track the industry and analyze new developments for mobile travelers:
- Browse our Resource Center / Guides for more detailed guides.
- Go to school in our Mobile Internet University which walks you through the basics to the more advanced at your pace.
- Browse our Gear Center for information on gear & plans we track.
- Visit our Video Center for guides, tutorials and news stories.
- Have questions?