Managing a family can certainly be a complicated endeavor in the best of times. When a family goes nomadic the complications increase. Add in the need for mobile internet access for all aspects of modern family life and the complexity can become overwhelming.
There are some unique challenges of mobile internet that can impact families - everything from keeping the kids entertained, to controlling and managing access, to ensuring you have the internet options you need for critical family tasks like work and homeschooling - or even giving the adults a break while the kids watch Netflix (which, as any parent knows, can be very important!).
Additionally, kids today grow up with technology and are completely comfortable with the internet - after all, they don't have any experience living in a world without it, and chances are they may be accustomed fixed, wired internet available in homes, which provides a stable, unlimited, always-on connection. As a result, they can be voracious consumers of internet content if left unchecked and won’t initially understand that mobile internet on the road or water can come with limits they aren’t used to.
In this guide we'll cover all the impacts of mobile internet for nomadic families. This guide is also intended to help all families regardless of family composition. As such, it will provide guidelines, factors to consider, and some specific examples to give you the information to make sound mobile internet decisions based on your specific family composition and priorities.
Included in this Guide:
- Analyzing Your Family's Mobile Internet Needs
- Managing Family Access
- Tips and Tricks for Managing Mobile Internet Access
- Parental Controls
Content Creation In Progress!
We are currently working on this article
and should have it published soon!
This resource center is primarily funded by our members, so guides like this one are their perk for helping us provide the free content on this site. Due to the depth & time involved with creating comprehensive content, the in-depth portion of this article will be offered exclusively first to our premium members.
If you are a member, please log in above,
there may be bonus preview content we've made available already.
If you're not yet a member consider becoming a Mobile Internet Aficionados (MIA).
Is internet essential to your mobile lifestyle?
It is our passion to provide informative unbiased content and have made it our job to track this constantly evolving industry.
We stay on top of the technology
so that you can focus on what drives you!
We could provide of this without the support of those who chose to become members who fund this resource center. We do not accept sponsorships, third party advertising and we do not resell anything. We strive to be an unbiased community funded resource.
Become a member starting at $65/year
Our premium membership - Mobile Internet Aficionados - is designed for those who consider internet essential for their mobile lifestyle.
In thanks for their support our members go deeper with our content - and receive benefits that help them save money, stay up to date, learn, get guidance and make informed choices.
Our goal is to save you time, money and frustration.
Other Resources We Offer:
- Our book: The Mobile Internet Handbook (5th Edition due out by end of January 2018!)
- Our glossary: Mobile Internet Glossary
- Our app: Coverage? overlays the cellular carrier's coverage maps so you can better plan your travels around connectivity.
- Stay in the Know - We track the industry and analyze new developments for mobile travelers:
- Browse our Resource Center / Guides for further detailed guides.
- Browse our Gear Center for information on gear & plans we track.
- Visit our Video Center for guides, tutorials and news stories.
- Have questions? Members are encouraged to post in our Member Forums or Private Facebook group or participate in our member Q&A webinars. We also host a free Internet for RVers & Cruisers Facebook Group where we are happy to help with basic questions.