This guide will show that gaming on the road is definitely possible, even with the limitations of mobile internet. We'll give you the information you need to avoid the major pitfalls and share our tips to make your gaming experience enjoyable.
In this guide you will learn:
- The critical differences between gaming on wired home internet and mobile internet.
- How to make mobile internet work for different types of games on PC and consoles.
- How to monitor and manage bandwidth usage for online gaming.
- How to manage game patches and patch/launch software including via Steam, XBox One, Playstation 4, and Nintendo Switch.
Many other tips, tricks and information will be covered including:
Online Gaming on the Road Overview
As with so many other aspects of mobile internet, what you need to successfully game online will depend on a host of factors which we explain in this guide. Although there will be times when some games can't be played, or can't be played enjoyably, in most cases mobile online gaming isn't as difficult or expensive as you might believe.
Flexibility is a key part of a travel lifestyle - and this includes being flexible around what you play online, and when.
In today's connected world, there are many options for accessing the internet while traveling but they often are, from a gaming perspective, quite different than what is available on a wired home connection.
Mobile internet options are definitely more complicated, and potentially more expensive, than a home wired internet connection and can pose technical challenges to enjoyable gameplay. These challenges are different from other mobile internet uses, like websurfing and video.
This guide will give you the information you need to navigate these challenges and make mobile gaming a part of your travel lifestyle.
Let's get started!
In this Guide:
All content is currently member exclusive:
- Online Gaming Technology, A Primer
- Latency and Bandwidth for Online Gaming
- Mobile Connectivity Options for Gaming
This Guide Contains
Member Only Content
We are honored that we are member & reader funded. It allows us to create unbiased guides and product information, including free content here on the resource center. In thanks for their support, our members get first access to our in-depth guides.
If you're a member, please log in above to gain full access to this guide - or if you're not yet:
Benefits of a premium membership include:
- Product overviews & reviews
- Mobile Internet University (our classroom) & eTextbook
- Special MIA newsletters
- Private Q&A forums
- Interactive member only webinars
- A community of fellow nomads relying on mobile internet
Ready for more?
Check out the course at:
Is internet essential to your mobile lifestyle?
It is our passion to provide informative unbiased content and have made it our job to track this constantly evolving industry.
We stay on top of the technology
so that you can focus on what drives you!
We do not accept sponsorships, third party advertising and we do not resell anything. We funded by our community via premium memberships.
Become a member starting at less than $6/mo.
Our premium membership - Mobile Internet Aficionados - is designed for those who consider mobile internet essential for their mobile lifestyle.
In thanks for their support our members go deeper with our content - and receive benefits that help them save money, stay up to date, get guidance and make informed choices.
Our goal is to save you time, money and frustration.
Other Resources We Offer:
- Our book: The Mobile Internet Handbook
- Our app: Coverage? overlays the cellular carrier's coverage maps so you can better plan your travels around connectivity.
- Stay in the Know - We track the industry and analyze new developments for mobile travelers:
- Browse our Resource Center / Guides for further detailed guides.
- Browse our Gear Center for information on gear & plans we track.
- Visit our Video Center for guides, tutorials and news stories.
- Have questions? Members are encouraged to post in our Member Forums or Private Facebook group or participate in our member Q&A webinars. We also host a free Internet for RVers & Cruisers Facebook Group where we are happy to help with basic questions.