2018 Update on Advising Sessions
Since we launched this site in 2014, we have conducted over 125 private advising sessions. As much as we love getting to assist our members in this format, finding the time to continue offering them as our membership and content we provide expands is becoming more and more difficult.
As our primary mission is creating resources that can help many, the time has unfortunately come that we may no longer be able to offer this service.
We are considering some alternatives - such as less structured private tutoring sessions, smaller video study groups or creating more case studies as examples. We'll update this page when we figure it out.
In the meantime, if you're embarking on your research - please consider utilizing many of the resources we offer. We offer a Classroom, book, videos, member forums and regular Q&A webinars.
Get Personal & Private Advising from Mobile Internet Experts
Ever wished someone knowledgable would just tell you what mobile internet setup would work best for you?
Or someone could take the time to answer your questions and explain this complicated stuff in an easy to understand way?
Everyone's needs are unique, and highly dependent upon how important internet is to you, your budget, your technical comfort level, and your travel style.
We've created a lot of content on this topic, and try to present it in a 'self help' sort of way. But we know how overwhelming all of the options can be to figure out and apply.
We'd love to help you navigate this stuff, and offer private advising sessions so we can take the time to get to know you and your needs to make an informed recommendation.
We're Chris and Cherie, your host here. We've been on the road ourselves since 2006 in both RVs and boats, working remotely and depending on mobile internet for our livelyhood. We keep on top of a wide array of solutions, and have our finger on the pulse of this niche industry.
We'll be happy to book a private session with you to discuss your goals of keeping online while being mobile, help you understand your options and build a shopping list together designed just for you.
We know what works, because we depend on this stuff ourselves. And we've tried a lot of it.
One session can save you hours of research and money by avoiding making mistakes in purchasing products that won't actually meet your goals. We'll help you select what we think will work best for YOUR unique situation and help you understand why.
Mobile Internet Advisor Package
The Mobile Internet Advisor package is designed to help you assess your needs and design a mobile internet setup custom tailored for your desires, travel style and budget.
Our sessions are ideal for those just getting started or planning for full timing, part timing or seasonal/extended RVing. Or those desiring a refresh of their setup.
Here's how it works:
Book your session: Check our availability below for open appointments - we recommend snagging your preferred time as soon as you complete your payment. We can only set aside one or two days a month for all of our advising calls, and we do tend to get booked up a few weeks in advance. Which works out well, because you will have some homework in advance.
- Homework (Completed in Advance):
- Completed Your Assessment Interview: Fill out our online assessment interview in advance of our session. We'll review it and do a little preliminary research so we can maximize our time together.
- Study: There's only so much education we can provide in an hour, and still accomplish coming up with your ideal mobile internet setup. To get the most out of our session it's best if you start the call with at least some basic knowledge. We highly recommend at least browsing through the first lessons in Section 1 of our Mobile Internet University.
- Video or Phone Session: Our interactive session will generally take around 45-60 minutes.
- We use this time to make sure we understand your goals, give you some feedback, discuss your options, answer questions you might have and come up with a game plan that best makes sense for your situation. We welcome you to record the session and we take notes for you.
- We have a strong preference for video sessions. We can host on Skype, FaceTime or Zoom (the same platform we use for our member webinars), or if you have a platform you prefer, we're open to that too. This allows us to be more interactive, do a little show-n-tell with the products we're talking about. Plus, it allows us to get to know you better so that we can give you very individualized advice.
- But sometimes, video just isn't feasible if you or us don't have enough bandwidth to support it (after all, we ARE dealing with mobile internet here). We'll be in touch the day before our session to coordinate. If all else fails, we'll revert to a good old fashioned phone call. (Sorry, we are unable conduct sessions via e-mail - it's just too cumbersome to be effective. If you prefer written interactions, then we recommend utilizing our member forums - which is included with membership.)
- Your Custom Written Report with Shopping List: We follow-up with a custom written plan (we take notes during our session so you don't have to) for the mobile internet arsenal we recommend that balances your unique desires, travel style and budget. It'll include links to the products we recommend to make your shopping easier and links to our guides for further research.
- Custom Illustration of Your Setup: We know it's difficult to visualize how all these components come together. So we'll create you a custom graphic that roughly illustrates the setup we've discussed with you (similar to the samples above.)
- On-Going Follow Up: Got more questions, or need a little extra guidance after our initial session with setup, shopping or adjustments to your setup? You're welcome to post as many questions as you like in our member forums.
- Mobile Internet Aficionados 1-Year Membership: We don't leave you hanging after our call. Which is why all of our mobile internet advising sessions are only available to our premium members. If you're not a member yet, the price reflected below includes your first year of membership (members - please log in to access session-only pricing). This gives you access to ongoing interaction in our Q&A forums, our extensive exclusive guides & product reviews and alerts to 'keep in the know' as things change in the year ahead. Click for more information on our membership program.
Our Plain-English Promise & Disclaimer: We promise that when you book a session we'll give you our time & attention to understand your situation, apply our unique knowledge & perspective, explain the trade-offs of different options and help you understand those options so you can make informed decisions.
We make no promises, or take responsibility, beyond that.
We can only give feedback based on our own personal & professional experiences and the information you've shared with us about your situation. While we will make recommendations for products & services that we think will serve your stated needs best at this moment, we can't promise that even if you implement all of our recommendations that you'll have usable connectivity everywhere and anywhere. Or that an option we present will necessarily work for you in actuality, or that our recommendation will be the best option for now and always into the future (plans change, hardware gets discontinued, technology advances and your own needs can shift).
In the end, you are responsible for the purchasing decisions you make, how you utilize them and how you keep up with technology upgrades afterwards. Be sure to follow up your research on the items we discuss during our session before making any purchases - know the risks, customer support policies & warranty terms for each.
Book your session now:
We can only offer a limited number of sessions each month and still keep on top of all our duties here on the resource center. We post dates as our own travel schedule gets locked in.
- No sessions available at this time, and it is not likely we'll have time/availability until Spring 2018 at the earliest. Our focus is getting the next edition of The Mobile Internet Handbook completed, some extensive field testing and catching up on content creation.
We understand that our schedule may not mesh with your needs. We encourage you to consider becoming a member and utilizing our Mobile Internet University self-paced classroom and utilize the member forums and/or our Q&A webinars to ask any questions you might have. We are delighted to assist there, and always make time to respond. Thanks!
Start with Membership
Already a MIA member? Please log in to access your member pricing.
Some Frequent Questions about Booking a Session:
We tend to get booked up a fews weeks in advance, so we do recommend that if you want a session - grab your preferred time as soon as you can.
In order to leave time for helping our members in the forums, creating content, testing equipment, tracking the news and keeping sessions feeling 'fresh' (so we can best focus on YOU during our time), we've found we can only handle a handful of sessions a month and keep our own sanity. We love the one-on-one time helping our members, but they do take a lot of attention and focus - and there are only two of us to go around.
Also, as full time nomads ourselves, we have to plan our advising days to be while we're somewhere with great connectivity and a minimal of nearby distractions.
If your schedule and ours don't mesh - we welcome you to utilize the member forums to ask questions as you go (and skip booking a session for now). We will be happy to hold a conversation there, and other members may chime in too.
- For those outfitting an existing RV, less than 2 months from when you plan to hit the road is most ideal. We can help you even after you've hit the road too.
- If you're approaching a custom build of an RV, we can help in the planning process - generally having your session a month or two before your final specifications need to be made with your manufacturer is ideal.
- If you're looking for some general overviews and rules of thumb for thinking ahead in your longer term planning process - feel free to book a session as far out as you like. Our interview form does ask when you're planning to hit the road. We'll avoid recommending specific products if we know you're not hitting the road within the next couple of months.
In fact, unless you know for sure you want an advising session - this is what we recommend. Start with a membership, browse our exclusive content, get familiar with the options, maybe even ask a couple questions in the forums. We find most folks can come up with a solution using our resources if they're willing to put the time into reading & watching videos.
If you decide later you would like a private advising session, you can always book one later. There's no special discount with this advising package that you'd be missing out on, it's offered more as a convenience to pay all at once if you so desire.
If you do book a full advising package and later decide you don't need it, just let us know - we're happy to refund unredeemed sessions.
If you prefer a written interaction, then please do feel free to post in the member forums - it's included as part of membership. We're happy to spend the time in such a venue to assist and direct you to where to research further.
We have worked with North American based RVers and boaters of all sorts over the years (we personally split our time between RV and intercoastal cruising) - from those working on the road, homeschooling and retirees. From full timers, seasonal travelers to those out on a specific short term journey. From US based nomads to those traveling the US who are citizens of other countries.
Whether your needs are an (almost) always-on high bandwidth setup, or just checking in online every so often, we can help steer you down the best path. We also do adjust our advice and language in explaining things based on YOUR technical comfort level.
Situations we know we can't help much with include traveling outside of North America and boating beyond North American coastlines. And stationary living setups just aren't our wheelhouse (after all, they have no wheels.) We're probably also not great resources for space travels at this point (but we dream!).
If you have a unique situation and are unsure if we'll be able to help, feel free to write us at email@example.com and give us a brief synopsis of what you'd like help with. Please mention that you're considering a session, and we'll advise if we think we have information or experience to share that would be of help.
Unfortunately, no, we do not offer installation services. In fact, we sometimes hire our own installation out ourselves. We don't find comfort or joy in climbing on roofs (even our own) and running cabling - and feel our work time is best spent researching, testing, creating content and advising. Besides, we're not licensed or insured for such things.
If the stars align and we happen to be close enough to conduct a consulting session in person, we might be amenable to that. But, we don't find the stars align that often and we don't like tying ourselves to a schedule that involves having to be at a specific place at a certain time (or worrying about local taxation laws or licensing) - so thus, we really prefer conducting sessions online.
If we find ourselves nearby fellow nomads, we much prefer spending that time socially together... not working. Let's meet up for happy hours instead! 🙂
We understand plans can change, and things come up - we are human too.
But we also ask you to consider that we go to great lengths when we offer our schedule to clear time, make sure we're in great connectivity ourselves and plan our travel days to accommodate these sessions.
So we have strived to come up with a fair cancellation & reschedule policy.
- Reschedules: If we have another slot open that works better for you and your currently scheduled session is more than a week away - you are welcome to switch at no charge. This gives us ample opportunity to re-book your original session. Reschedule requests less than a week before the original booked date, or requests to reschedule when we have no other slots open yet, may instead fall under our cancellation policy.
- With at least 72-hours notice - You may cancel your session and receive a refund for the session minus a $40 cancellation fee. This covers our time of re-opening the session and attempting to re-book.
- 24-72 hours notice - Unfortunately, with this little of notice - we are unlikely to be able to rebook your session. You may cancel your session and receive a 50% refund for the session.
- Less than 24 hours notice - Unfortunately, we are unable to offer refunds for last minute cancellations, no-shows or lack of connectivity on your end.
- Extraordinary circumstances, of course, considered.
We send a confirmation a day in advance. Please make sure you have given us the correct information to reach you and that you will have ample connectivity for our session - we make every effort to connect that is feasible on our end. Obviously, if for some reason we're don't have ample connectivity to host your session, we will work with you to reschedule at a suitable time.