You've Reached Member Exclusive Content
Members, please login to access this content - thanks!
You can click 'Remember Me' to stay logged in by using the login at the bottom of the page,
or quickly login in above.
(If you can't remember your password, you can reset it using this link: Lost Password
- also found on the bottom right hand corner of every page of this site.)
Not a Member Yet?
The content you are trying to access is provided exclusively to our members. We invite you to consider a Mobile Internet Aficionados membership, and you too can gain access to our exclusive in-depth articles, Q&A forums, timely alerts, free book updates, product reviews and community interaction.
Read more below about our memberships:
If you consider internet access almost as necessary as fuel, water and electricity - then we created this website for you.
Whether you're working from the road, attending online classes, keeping in touch with friends & family, planning your next destination, sharing your adventures or keeping entertained - finding the mobile internet solution that fits your unique lifestyle can be an overwhelming challenge.
We're here to help.
We've made it our full time job to create resources to help make this stuff easier to understand, provide education and keep on top of this constantly changing topic - so you can concentrate on what drives you!
What is the MIA (Mobile Internet Aficionados)?
The MIA is a community of travelers who consider mobile internet to be essential.
Instead of seeking sponsorships, advertising or reselling products - we choose instead to be community funded. This keeps us accountable to our membership for our unbiased overviews, advising and industry analysis.
The Mobile Internet Handbook is our textbook...
..the MIA is our classroom.
A MIA membership goes even further than our free content - more in-depth guides, our classroom for learning, product reviews & field testing reports, alert newsletters, videos, interactive access to experts, product discounts and insider tips.
Our goal is to save you time, money and frustration.
Your founders are Chris & Cherie of Technomadia.com. We began full time RVing while working remotely as technology advisors & software developers in 2006. We now split our time traveling North America by RV and boat.
We were fielding so many questions on our personal blog about how we stayed connected running our own high tech business remotely, so we created this resource center - it's our passion and now our full time "job".
We are joined by a staff of fellow full time travelers to keep this space constantly updated.
Join the Few. The Mobile. The Connected.
What Our Members Are Saying:
Join Now (see details of the benefits below):
If you've already purchased a The Mobile Internet Handbook, we offer you a $5 discount off your initial annual membership.
- For the 2015 and later editions: Check the 'Going Further' or 'Ongoing Conversations' chapter at the back of the book for your $5 coupon code.
- For the 2014 Edition - Enter in the third to last word defined in the glossary (at the end of the book) as the code. This lets us know you already own the book.
Discount only valid for new Mobile Internet Aficionado memberships and can not be combined with other coupon codes.
or... Gift a Membership to the nomad in your Life!
Other ways to support what we do here..
Join risk free.
We're pleased to offer a ton of free guides & videos here on the resource center that should give you a good feel for our style and depth of research. We encourage you to utilize it as much as you like - it's a gift from us and our members.
Should you decide to support us by becoming a member, and if for any reason in the first 30 days you don't find becoming part of our MIA community was the right fit for you - just ask - we'll be happy to refund your full membership fee. No questions asked.
We want to provide you a valuable resource, your happiness is important!
More Information On the Benefits:
- Mobile Internet University - With over 700 pages of content here on this website, it can be overwhelming to get started. This structured course walks you through our recommended video and written guides - ramping you up from understanding your options, assessing your needs to selecting your plans & gear. And then bringing it all together. Go at your own pace, and bring questions to our forums or interactive Q&A webinars. Get a free preview of Section 1 in Our Classroom.
- Exclusive content - We release most of our in-depth mobile internet guides, product reviews, insider tips, guides, videos and field testing data to our 'Mobile Internet Aficionados' exclusively. You'll also find extra tips and insider info embedded in some news articles, just for members.
- Example: When T-Mobile announced they were discontinuing their Simple Choice plans in January 2017, we posted an article about it to our news center. The article contained extra information for our members with instruction on how to obtain the plan, recommended devices and even a 25m video overviewing the plans. We've now made that entire article public so you can see an example of the extra guidance members get: Click to See the full T-Mobile Article.
Newsletters - MIAs get a specially written newsletter delivered at least monthly (usually twice), covering our analysis of industry development. This means you don't have to pro-actively check in to see what's up if you don't want to - just check your mail, skim the newsletter and know if there's anything up that might impact you. Our newsletters are more in-depth and comprehensive than our free public monthly summary, and might contain member exclusive insider tips.
- Breaking Stories & Alerts - We issue special breaking news alerts if we hear of anything that might impact our members that needs to be acted on quickly - such as a limited time promotion, threats to popular solutions (like grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Data Plans) or substantial shifts in the industry.
- Video Q&A Webinars - We host member-only interactive video webinars using Zoom. Generally once a month we have a topical presentation (ie. 'Mobile Routers Overview', 'Future of LTE', 'Satellite Internet') and then take questions. These presentations are archived for viewing later. We also host a general open Q&A webinar on the Second Sunday of every month that you can put on your calendar. If there's a critical news topic going on, we may also host a special edition broadcast for our membership.
- The Mobile Internet Handbook! Since this is our textbook - you get our book in PDF/ePub format, and any updates that come out during your MIA membership term, at no extra charge. We feel it's important that you have access to the latest information in the book, so that we can refer to content when fielding your questions. And of course members get full access to our constantly updated content online that complements the book.
Already purchased the book separately? No problem - we offer a discount off initial membership (see below for details).
- Q&A Forums - Got questions? Need a little help or guidance? Ask questions in our member only forums and our staff will address them. We encourage members to chime in and help each other too. We can't promise we'll always be able to answer your questions with a definitive solution, but we'll do our best to share what we know and point you in the right direction.
- Community - Interact with other travelers who are also navigating keeping online while being mobile. Because together, we all have more experience and wisdom to share. Learn from each other, share product reviews, tips & experiences in a private space dedicated to just this topic. From our Q&A forums, commenting on guides and our optional member-only Facebook group (our 'lunchroom').
- Discounts - While we are not sponsored by any vendor or manufacturer, several reputable ones extend special discounts to our MIA members. Enjoy special discounts from WiFiRanger, weBoost, 3GStore, PowerfulSignal, TechnoRV, Wilson Amplifiers, RepeaterStore and data brokers. If you're in the market, our content can help you make wise decisions AND you can potentially save more than your membership cost.
Join Mobile Internet Aficionado for $79 for 1 year, or set up a subscription to lock in our discounted annual rate of $65/year.
However, we don't promise to review every single product available, or necessarily in a timely fashion. We tend to research the 'best in class' options and review those.
Remember we live in an RV and a boat ourselves, and have limited space for installing & storing gear. We don't just turn on a gadget and see if it works - we take it out to multiple locations and test it over time. This could take months for us to get sufficient hands on experience to make an assessement, but we do share our field testing data as we collect it with members.
Also, we do not cover most general mobile technology equipment - such as computers, TVs, streaming devices, smartphones, printers & tablets.
Our reviews are focused equipment specific to mobile internet - such as dedicated hotspots, mobile routers, mobile cellular boosters, antennas and mobile WiFi repeating gear. We do not review equipment designed and marketed for stationary use.
We know RVers and cruisers aren't the only ones who depend on mobile internet options. Truckers, rural folks, nomads, travelers, storm chasers and cord-cutters also might rely on wireless connections instead of hardwired internet.
And we know many folks travel part time, and desire a setup that might be usable 'at home' and on the road. Or those living in mobile substrates might be stationary for long periods of time.
We absolutely welcome you to join, but just know upfront we are very focused on mobile internet options. Our 'Top Picks', product listings and advice are specific to mobile situations. Our first 11 years on the road was in RVs, and we launched this site within that community. We're also now part-time cruisers along the American Great Loop, and are ramping up marine content too.
Installation & equipment options for stationary homes, offices and trucks might have different considerations. Those options are not our area of expertise.
There is a heck of a lot of cross over however and you will learn a lot, and have access to our ongoing research & knowledge. We'll do our best to point out where the differences & considerations are when asked, but we make no promises that we'll be able to provide specific guidance for non-mobile use.
You will need to adapt what you learn here to apply to your own situation, and continue research on your own.
We want to make sure you fully understand what your membership includes, and doesn't include. Here are some specific things that the MIA is not intended for:
- E-mail and/or private advising - We ask members to post their questions in the Q&A forums or our private MIA Facebook group. This helps other members learn & chime in as well.
- 24/7 Instant Responses - We're full time nomads ourselves - we don't just play them on the internet. That's how we know about this stuff. Our own time and bandwidth availability can vary quite a bit. We set aside time (and effort to have connectivity) to read the Q&A forums to respond to member questions in full. We will do our very best to respond to inquiries within 2 business days and we post a status alert when we know we'll be out of touch longer than that (such as vacations, extensive field testing time when we're mostly offline or just traveling through known areas of bad signal).
- Substitute for Reading The Mobile Internet Handbook or other content on this site - Membership is best utilized if you're committed to educating yourself. We strongly advise you keep your included copy of The Mobile Internet Handbook handy, and utilize the in-depth guides & video content throughout the site. We are always happy to address MIA member questions to further your understanding and how something we've written about might apply to your situation. If we have covered the subject elsewhere we will gladly provide a reference of where to find the relevant information - whether a chapter in the book, or content in the resource center.
- Technical Support - The MIA is not a substitute for the customer support provided by the manufacturer or vendor you purchased equipment from, or for the solutions you've implemented. We are however happy to help you troubleshoot a problem, confirm a problem or point you in the right direction to get help.
- General Mobile Tech - Many folks know us for our Technomadia.com blog, where we do write about our personal experiences with mobile tech (computers, tablets, solar, lithium batteries, GPS, lighting, apps, etc.). This site is specifically about mobile internet options & equipment - and we super focus on it here. It keeps us busy enough as is to stay on top of. However, our members do have access to our off topic discussion forum, and we do welcome questions there if you have them. We'll answer when we can.
- Remember... membership is intended to provide education, a venue for asking questions to further your understanding, and keeping you keep up to date on the industry. We feel it's important that you understand the solutions you're purchasing, as when you're 'out there' - you may not be able to get online to get help setting up your equipment.
Mobile internet vendors & company representative policy: We do not allow products or services we cover to have an official presence in member interactive places.
However, we recognize that some who represent mobile internet related products are also travelers themselves, and would like to join for their own personal interest. And we welcome this. We just ask that if you do represent a product that you refrain from posting anything that could be seen as marketing of the product. If you see a fellow member with a question about your product that you can answer, that is most appreciated - just please be transparent about your affiliation, and keep it supportive not 'selling'.
Also, our content is intended for personal use only - not for helping related businesses target their products & services at RVers & boaters. If you would like our assistance in getting a market overview or in-depth feedback in your product development, please contact us. When we have time, we do offer business-to-business consulting services.
Starting in 2017, yes, we (Chris & Cherie of Technomadia) are starting a new adventure - the Great Loop, exploring America's intercoastal waterways, canals and rivers by cruising boat.
However, that will not have any negative impact on our work here at MobileInternetInfo. In fact, it will ENHANCE what we do here. In early 2018, we have officially rebranded to be inclusive of cruisers and other nomads, in addition to our roots focusing on RVers.
Here's a couple key points:
- The 'Great Loop' is all intercostal and canals and rivers in the US & Canada. So places RVers go too (we've have traveled by RV to many of the same destinations). We're very intentionally keeping ourselves in similar challenges to we can keep on top of everything we do here. The Great Loop is sometimes even referred to as 'RVing on Water'.
- We'll still be RVing at least 1/2 the year (boat will be our summer adventure, when it gets too cold as we head north - we move back into the RV).
- We fully intend to continue working just as much as we do now - and we have expanded our staff. We'll continue our slow pace of travel, mixing in extended stays in one location with shorter stays while in transit. We'll still seek out bad signal areas to test gear and advise on optimal options.
And overall, we look at this as expanding what we're offering - such as learning more about Canadian connectivity and marine grade equipment.