MetroPCS is the wholly owned subsidiary of T-Mobile, offering prepaid smartphone plans to consumers.
The self proclaimed 'Uncarrier' is shaking up the industry by implementing policies not seen before.
They have pretty good urban coverage in the USA that is currently undergoing rapid expansion with the deployment of Band 12, however they are still a distant 3rd carrier in terms of coverage.
Their Weaknesses: While they are rapidly expanding their network, their data network is still weak outside of urban areas, and has a lot of roaming areas which will be quite slow. To get their newest coverage, you must have a newer device that supports Band 12.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: MetroPCS plans do not include domestic roaming.
- Throttling/Network Management: MetroPCS traffic is always de-priotized over direct T-Mobile traffic. Network management kicks in at 35GB/line.
- International: Does not include or have an option for international.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Almost all MetroPCS plans include mobile hotspot use, however, you must purchase their 'premium' unlimited data plan to be able to hotspot - and that is limited to 10GB of hotspot data a month.
- Standalone Hotspot Use: A standalone hotspot plan is offered, which can be added as a line to an existing phone plan.
- Data Roll Over: No data roll-over is offered with prepaid plans.
- Overage Charges: MetroPCS never charges overage fees. Once you hit your high speed data cap, you are just simply slowed down to 2G speeds for the rest of the billing period.
- Streaming: Prepaid plans do not include the unlimited video streaming of post paid plans, however they do include the data maximizer to reduce data usage while streaming video on partnered networks.
- Unlimited Data Plans: An on device unlimited data plan is offered that allows 10GB a month of mobile hotspot use. Additional unlimited data lines can be added to a plan for $30/each per month - each with their own 10GB hotspot data cap.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: Policy: You can request the unlock code after 90 consecutive (continuous) days of phone service with MetroPCS.
Testing Status: We do not keep a prepaid MetroPCS plan.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
T-Mobile is the carrier to watch, and a worthwhile consideration as a secondary network for RVers. MetroPCS prepaid plans however don't include all the alluring perks of their postpaid options.