It turns out that the newer model is actually just a cost-reduced version of the Z-915, with the exact same specifications and internal electronics.
The key difference is that the older and more expensive Z-915 has an LCD screen for changing settings and checking status. But on the new Falcon model there is only a series of basic status lights - and all changes must be made via a web interface.
In other words, if you have a Z-915, do not feel any pressure to rush out to upgrade to the new Falcon.
UPDATE (October 2016): T-Mobile has seemingly replaced the Falcon Z-917 in its lineup with the newer Alcatel LINKZONE - which has nearly identical specifications and capabilities.
- Battery Life: 6hrs (removable battery)
- # of Connected Devices: 10 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
WiFiRanger Tethering: Tested & Confirmed
Control Panel: http://mobile.hotspot/ or http://192.168.0.1/
Default Password: "admin"
- Networks supported:
LTE Bands: 2, 4, 12 (17)
4G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz
3G / 2G: Global Roaming NOT Supported
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: No
- LTE Performance Category: Category 4
(Max Theoretical Speed: 150Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n - 2.4GHz Only
- Dimensions: 4.13" x 2.36" x 0.63" / 4.23 oz
- SIM Card Type: 3FF / Micro SIM
- Retail Price: $79.95
In addition, we have included this unit in our several other rounds of testing. Our field testing results can be found here, for our members who want to follow along:
- Cellular Signal & Embedded Router Field Testing – IBR900 | MAX-BR1 | Drive Sleek | MIMO Antennas (1st Quarter 2018)
- Cellular Equipment Field Testing Results – Netgear Modems / USB730 (Late 2017)
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
NOTE: At present time, mobile hotspots can only be activated on T-Mobile's older data tiered 'Simple Choice' plans, not on their new unlimited T-Mobile One plans.
They can also no longer be purchased online directly from T-Mobile, and must be bought in a T-Mobile store or via phone.
ZTE Falcon Z-917 Ratings
This hotspot is a solid choice if you need a dedicated T-Mobile data device.