Boom! Mobile offers several prepaid plans, a few of which may be of interest to nomads seeking a bit of extra data. Boom! offers plans on the Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile networks, offering both voice and LTE data roaming at no extra charge.
The majority of Boom! Mobile's offerings are prepaid and on the Verizon network, which is the largest cellular carrier in the USA. Verizon has the widest overall coverage area, the most deployed LTE, and great overall performance. They have a promising future roadmap too – with an ever-expanding network and advanced XLTE service widely deployed.
Boom! Mobile's Verizon based smartphone plans support of the use of a hotspot, although new customers (after August 2017) will need to pay a small fee to enable it. Some plans include throttled 'unlimited' data (to 2G speeds) after initial plan data is used. They also offer data-only prepaid and postpaid Verizon based plans for mobile hotspots.
Boom is notable for being the only Verizon MVNO to offer the Verizon Extended Network (which is what Verizon calls roaming) for both voice and data.
Boom! Mobile's prepaid offerings on the Sprint platform support use of a smartphone hotspot on both iPhone and Android devices. Plans include data that is hard capped at the amount listed. Postpaid Sprint based data-only plans are available for mobile hotspots.
While Boom! Mobile lists a few prepaid plans on the T-Mobile network, none of these plans currently offer enough data to be considered of interest to the average mobile internet seeker.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: Boom! Mobile imposes no limits on domestic roaming for calls or data when you are off their network.
- Throttling: Boom! Mobile reduces speeds to 5mbps on all plans.
- International: No international usage is included.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Plans with included data allow mobile hotspot use. After August 2017, there will be a small additional fee to use the hotspot feature.
- Data Roll Over: Base data allotment does not roll-over. Top-up data expires 90 days from purchase date as long as the account is active. Plan Data is used before Top-up data.
- Overage Charges: There are no overage charges on prepaid plans. Once you use your data, service is either discontinued until the next billing period, or throttled to 2G speeds- depending on your selected plan. Data top-ups can be purchased.
- Streaming: No streaming services are provided with prepaid accounts.
- Unlimited Data Plans: Truly unlimited data plans are not available, although some plans include unlimited, throttled (2G speeds) data after initial plan data is used.
Testing Status: We do not keep a Boom! Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
- Verizon and Sprint Based Prepaid Plans with Mobile Hotspot from Boom! Mobile Posted on: August 20, 2016
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Boom! Mobile Ratings
Boom! Mobile offers plans on Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile networks.