You've Reached Member Exclusive Content
Members, please login to access this content - thanks!
You can click 'Remember Me' to stay logged in by using the login at the bottom of the page,
or quickly login in above.
(If you can't remember your password, you can reset it using this link: Lost Password
- also found on the bottom right hand corner of every page of this site.)
Not a Member Yet?
The content you are trying to access is provided exclusively to our members. We invite you to consider a Mobile Internet Aficionados membership, and you too can gain access to our exclusive in-depth articles, Q&A forums, timely alerts, free book updates, product reviews and community interaction.
Read more below about our memberships:
Is Mobile Internet an Integral Part of your RVing Lifestyle?
Whether you're working remotely from the road, attending online classes, keeping in touch with friends & family, navigating to your next destination or keeping entertained - internet access is almost as essential as fuel, water and electricity to some of today's RVers.
Our MIA (Mobile Internet Aficionados) is the premium membership component of this website and is designed for those who consider internet access an integral component of their RVing lifestyle.
Your hosts are Chris & Cherie of Technomadia.com. We began full time RVing while working remotely as technology advisors & software developers in 2006. We were fielding so many questions about how we stayed connected, so we created this resource center.
It's a perfect meshing of our passions - technology, travel & helping.
We are not sponsored and do not accept advertising dollars directly from any mobile internet vendor, manufacturer or provider.
This resource center is funded by our readers and members (ie. YOU!) - allowing us to remain as unbiased as possible. Our premium members get extra benefits in return for their support in helping us provide free content to the RVing community.
If The Mobile Internet Handbook is the textbook...
the MIA is the classroom.
Our goal is to save you time, money and frustration by keeping you informed & educated by bringing together a variety of resources into one place to help you navigate this overwhelming topic of mobile internet. It's a community where those interested in this topic can share and learn.
Whether you're a fellow high tech geek or consider yourself non-technical - we welcome you and strive to help.
We'll keep on top of the industry, alert you to breaking news, guide you through these topics, provide in-depth constantly updated guides & product information and field your questions - so you can concentrate on what drives you!
All for about the price of a night in a premium campsite.
Join the Few. The Mobile. The Connected.
What Our Members Are Saying:
This group keeps me ahead of the connectivity curve!
“Staying connected on the move is a part of our livelihood but trying to stay up to date with everything from carriers to plan changes and new devices, has become impossible…that is until The Mobile Internet Aficionados group came about. This group has become an invaluable source of information and I have never felt more informed or educated. This group keeps me ahead of the connectivity curve!”
The Good and Bad of it
I tend to research a lot before I buy, before joining MIA I made many good decissions and some really expensive and frustrating bad ones. Ideas sound good on paper, MIA Has provided a source of real world experience. Thanks for the insight and community.
I can’t recommend this site enough
“If you rely on mobile connectivity for your travels and are looking for concise, clear and relevant info I can’t recommend this site enough. I’ve learned more in just a few weeks on here then I could have in months of self-research.”
Everything You Need to know about Staying Connected to the Internet in your RV
Chris Dunphy and Cherie Ve Ard, also known as the Technomads, have been full time RVers since 2006. They publish the RV Mobile Internet Resource Center, perhaps the most comprehensive and helpful website you’ll find for all things related to RVing and the Internet.
I have learned more than I could ever hope to imagine
“In this fast changing technology they have provided breaking news and provided thought about what coming changes might mean to me. They have provided answers to specific questions and I have learned more than I could ever hope to imagine. I highly recommend joining MIA along with the book and look forward to many years of continued knowledge as this technology continues to change.”
Worth every penny
I’m a full time remote worker so tons of data is a pretty firm requirement for me. I was taking so much time researching what was the best deal and wondering if promotions were starting that I was going crazy! Having someone else keep on top of what are the best data deals and promotions and then emailing me to make sure I am one of the first to know is just awesome. Add to that the handbook, the videos, the forums, the product reviews etc. I can’t believe I waited so long to sign up. Thanks for all the work you do!
Amazing resource for staying connected while traveling
This book has been the perfect resource for me while I researched the best way to stay connected while on the road. I’ve turned to it again and again to decide how best to set up my bus for working on the road. Cherie and Chris also provide great assistance with their site as well. Buy the book, join the site. You won’t regret it. Reasonable price and converts techie stuff to english. Thanks!
MIA…Mobile Internet Afficianatos saves $ and time.
Chris and Cherie do an excellent job providing great advice and knowledge for anybody trying to have reliable Internet while traveling in an RV. MIA has saved us a lot of money and frustrations trying to stay connected. With advice on equipment, cellular service and general knowledge the membership fee is a small educational expense. Thanks so much for your service.
It’s Been Invaluable
I am so thankful for Cherie and Chris at RV Mobile Internet. I am pretty inept when it comes to technology. But with the Mobile Internet Handbook, their website, and forums, I think I have a much better handle on it now. We’ve been able to get an unlimited Verizon plan thanks to them, and will be using their handbook to get an antenna and a wifi booster that will work best for us. Thanks so much guys, it’s been invaluable!
The gurus that beat all other gurus
“Let’s face it guys, you are the gurus that beat all other gurus. What you don’t know you learn and what you learn you are able to disseminate in an easy to learn and absorb way. I’ve been in tech and the computer industry for over 35 years and you guys are still able to blow my socks off with your in depth knowledge.”
Best of the Best!
RV Mobile Internet is a top-notch mobile technology resource. Chris Dunphy & Cherie Ve Ard have been on the road full time for the past 10 years. Working remotely as they roam – they practice what they preach through first hand experience. You will learn critical information that will help you stay connected as you travel.
Join if Connectivity is Important
Being members of RVMobileInternet.com is worth every cent and more. Not only is it essential to keeping us mobile and connected on the road, it saves us a TON of time and effort trying to keep up with all the changes and enables us to periodically check in to make sure we have the very best technology setup for our needs.
We tell everyone who asks us about technology that they should join if connectivity is important to them (and really, who ISN’T connectivity important to these days!?))
This is how I stay on top of wireless data programs
The information on Chris and Cherie’s website is extremely valuable. Just this week their information about signing up for T-Mobile before the program disappears saved me a lot of money.
I was able to sign up for the T-Mobile’s $35 plan and decreased my Verizon plan by $35 and now I have the same amount of data and I also have the unlimited data for YouTube, etc.
I highly recommend their program.
This is the place to turn
Hands down, the best resource for staying connected on the road comes from the folks over at Technomadia. Recently,they have added a new site completely devoted to the topic of mobile technology. RV Mobile Internet is a membership site that provides full updates on every major change in the world of mobile data. Need help getting your RV connected and ready to roll? This is the place to turn.
Worth It! Consistent exceptional reporting.
Chris & Cherie have a corner on the market when it comes to all things dealing with RV mobile internet. No one else addresses these topics in the way they do. October 2014 alone — with its Double Data deals and the Millenicom situation — has been worth the price of admission. Consistent exceptional reporting.
The Ultimate Resource for Mobile Internet Connectivity
With so many routers, hot spots, antennas, services, options, and plans available, not to mention trying to figure out what works better or is a better fit for your situation, it can be mind-numbing trying to search for and filter through the information you need and the hype you don’t. My subscription to RVMobileInternet.com is the best money I could have ever spent, because they (Chris and Cherie) do this for you, DAILY, and provide an excellent text (print or eBook) to also educate you on what all of it means. RVMobileInternet.com is the only RV’ing website I check every day!
Great Real time info
I like the fact that you guys are evaluating the latest hardware, probably saved me dollars and heartaches with one of your last evaluations. The cost to join is worth every penny.. Lance Hall
A dream saved
In the Spring of 2014 we headed out on a 70 camping excursion across the Western US. Intending to work remotely, we were armed with 2 AT&T smartphones (with 10gb data!) and the AT&T coverage map. We set up reservations at campsites that were “in” and planned travel through “out” areas over the weekend. The trip was awesome but I’m not going to lie, staying connected to the Internet for work was a disaster. Unexpected dead zones, overloaded towers, remote locations and standing on top of picnic tables describe our ordeal to stay connected. Once back home, we felt like future trips like this one were out of the question. Fulltiming, an impossible dream. Then we stumbled across RV Mobile Internet and The Mobile Internet Handbook. Becoming a member and reading this book were salvation for our wanderlust. Now we are truly ready to venture forth with the knowledge and equipment to succeed.
Small Membership Fee Is Worth It
I’m tech savvy and thought I could figure it all out without joining. WRONG! Since I joined in June 2016, I’ve slashed my Verizon bill, protected my UDP (unlimited data plan), and now have more cellular data and options than I thought possible. The small membership fee is worth it and has already been recouped in savings.
THE go-to resources for mobile Internet connectivity
“Now that Technomadia has teamed up with Jack Mayer there is no question that The Mobile Internet Handbook and Mobile Internet Aficionados website are THE go-to resources for mobile Internet connectivity.”
Don’t Leave Home Without It!
If you rely on internet connectivity on the road like I do, you absolutely must become a member of RVMobileInternet.com’s “Mobile Internet Aficionados”. The detailed research and technical resources that MIA provides to its members are invaluable, and you can’t get them anywhere else that I know of. And Chris, Cherie and the rest of the MIA community provide near instantaneous help on obscure questions and problems when you need it. My membership has doubtless already saved me many hours and dollars in having to figure this stuff out for myself!
Thank you Chris and Cherie!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all you do for me and other full-time RVers. I rely on Internet for my blog and new online design business. Thanks to your help and timely advice, I lucked into a Verizon UDP in 2014. Since then, I have benefited from your constant monitoring of the mobile Internet world and have recommended you to others.
My MIA membership has repaid me several-fold and is an invaluable investment for any RVers who need to have Internet.
Helped me tremendously along with saving me money
“I am a proud member of MIA and I am also an IT professional with over 25 years experience mainly in large corporate networking. I have a number of Cisco and other certifications and am very knowledgeable about networks and networking.
That being said, when it comes to Mobile Networking, Chris and Cherie are experts and I continually learn new things from them. They are continuously testing various devices in the field and reporting their results. They have also researched and use wireless connections from all of the major vendors and have reported their speed reliability, and cost. Like them, I also full time in my RV and like them I must have a stable and reliable internet connection. With their help and sage advice, I have done this and it has helped me tremendously along with saving me money. I cannot recommend MIA enough.”
Our number one source to mobile connectivity!
“As full time RV’ers one of the hardest things to do is keep up on all of the latest technology. It takes a great deal of time, effort, and gadget accessibility to research the pros and cons of the devices suitable for our life style.
If only there was a place we could turn, to find what products were suitable for us? Fortunately there is a perfect solution: The Technomads at MIA.
Cherie and Chris are professionals in the field of technology who also happen to be full time RV’ers. They understand many of the technical limitations we face on the road and they help us find the best and most affordable way to stay connected. We at liv2rv.com strongly recommend MIA as our number one source to mobile connectivity!”
Why I’m A Continuing Member Of This Group
Chris and Cherie, I’d like to join others in thanking you for all the work you do. When I first discovered the fulltime RV lifestyle three years ago, your personal blog was one of the first ones I began to follow and learn from. When you started MIA, I joined right up, not knowing what I might learn. The top three things I did glean from it are WeBoost cell boosters, WiFi Ranger routers, and AT&T doubling data if you buy at least 15 GB. I would not have known about any of these, were it not for you and MIA. I plan to always stay a member as a way to say “thanks” for all of your advice; paid and not paid. It’s my way of adding to your “tip jar.” You guys rock!
You make things too easy!
I signed up for membership the other day. In under 24 hours, I ordered a Verizon UDP from a reputable person on your list, I bought a MoFi cellular router you reviewed which will take the SIM card from my new UDP, and I have have almost made a final decision on a cellular booster. These are decisions that I have been putting off for nearly a year because of the amount of time it was going to take me to do the proper research. All I did was spend a little bit of money on your membership, take a few hours to read all of the incredible research you had completed, and magically, I had nearly everything that I needed to move forward. And that makes me a happy (full time) camper!
MIA membership paid for itself many times over!
I signed up before I knew much of anything about mobile internet and I can’t believe how much money I’ve saved with the knowledge I’ve gotten from the newsletters and the forums. I got in with Omnilynx before they shut it down and got a free hotspot. Then I was able to walk through the UDP AOL process myself. I can honestly say that signing up to be an MIA has saved me over $1100 in the past 6 months and I’m sure the newsletters will keep me saving more as time goes on. Thanks guys for the awesome information source! Nik.
Worth Every Penny
“There are several benefits to membership in this group, but by far the most valuable part for us is receiving current information and updated reviews on changing technology and products that may enhance our mobile internet experience. Our ability to live on the road and generate income is highly tied to internet access and speed without giving up travel to the remote, beautiful places we love. Getting timely, expert analysis of this ever-changing landscape is worth every penny of the membership.”
A much needed and Valuable Resource
Planning on RV-ing when we retire and so joined the MIA to see what’s what as we are rather heavy internet users here at home in our Sticks’n’Bricks. Was very happy to find plenty of resources to actually enable us to go from a weak DSL plan to a much faster Cellular plan here at home. The information is all collected for RV-ers, but you can adapt it to suit what you may need at home too. Couldn’t have done any of it without the help of Chris and Cherie and all the other people “in the know” on the forums always there to answer my newbie questions. Thanks Guys Mandy
Join Now (see details of the benefits below):
MIA + Private Advising
If you've already purchased a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Edition of The Mobile Internet Handbook, we offer you a $5 discount off your initial annual membership.
- For the 2015 and later editions: Check the 'Ongoing Conversations' chapter at the back of the book for your $5 coupon code.
- For the 2014 Edition - Enter in the third to last word defined in the glossary (at the end of the book) as the code. This lets us know you already own the book.
Discount only valid for new Mobile Internet Aficionado memberships and can not be combined with other coupon codes.
Looking for other ways to support what we do here?
Join risk free.
If for any reason in the first 30 days you don't find your MIA membership to be a useful tool in your RVing setup, just ask - we'll be happy to refund your full membership fee. No questions asked.
We want to provide you a valuable resource, your happiness is important!
More Information On the Benefits:
- No Advertising - This site is completely funded by our readers, visitors and members - we are not compensated by any mobile internet company for reviewing their products or keeping up with the news. With our sincere gratitude, while logged in you'll see no 3rd Party advertising within our text content.
- Exclusive content - We'll release some of our most in-depth mobile internet articles, product reviews, insider tips, guides, videos and news items to our 'Mobile Internet Aficiandos' first, before they become publicly available.Any article in our Resource Center marked with the 'blue dudes' contains exclusive content for MIAs, as well as the in-depth review portions in our Review Center. You'll also find extra tips and insider info embedded in some news articles, just for members.
- Example: When T-Mobile announced they were discontinuing their Simple Choice plans in January 2017, we posted an article about it to our news center. The article contained extra information for our members with instruction on how to obtain the plan, recommended devices and even a 25m video overviewing the plans. We've now made that entire article public so you can see an example of the extra guidance members get: Click to See the full T-Mobile Article.
Newsletters - MIAs get a specially written newsletter delivered at least monthly (usually twice), covering our analysis of industry news. This means you don't have to pro-actively check in to see what's up if you don't want to - just check your mail, skim the newsletter and know if there's anything up that might impact you. Our newsletters are more in-depth and comprehensive than our free public monthly summary, and might contain member exclusive insider tips.
- Informal Interactive Video Webinars - We host member-only informal interactive video webinars. These are generally a topical presentation (ie. 'Mobile Routers Overview', 'Future of LTE', 'Satellite Internet') and then take your questions. If there's a critical news topic going on, we may also host a special edition broadcast for our membership. We archive our video sessions so you can catch up at your own pace.
- Breaking Stories, Alerts & Guidance- We issue special breaking news alerts if we hear of anything that might impact our members that needs to be acted on quickly - such as a limited time promotion, threats to popular solutions (like Verizon Unlimited Data Plans) or substantial shift in the industry. In cases of some major developments, we'll create special member guidance.
The Mobile Internet Handbook! Since this is our textbook - you get our book in PDF/ePub format, and any updates that come out during your MIA membership term, at no extra charge. We feel it's important that you have access to the latest information in the book, so that we can refer to content when fielding your questions. As we update chapters throughout the year, our MIAs get exclusive first access to them online.
Already purchased the book separately? No problem - we offer a discount off initial membership (see below for details).
- Q&A Forums - Got questions? Need a little help or guidance? Ask questions in our exclusive member only forums and our mobile internet gurus will address them (your on-call professors are Chris & Cherie of Technomadia) and other members might chime in too to share their experience. We can't promise we'll always be able to answer all your questions with a definitive solution, but we'll do our best to share what we know and point you in the right direction.
- Community - Interact with other RVers who are also navigating keeping online while being mobile. Because together, we all have more experience and wisdom to share. Learn from each other, share product reviews, tips & experiences in a private space dedicated to just this topic. From our Q&A forums (our 'classroom') and our optional member-only Facebook group (our 'lunchroom').
- Interactions & Discussions - Ability to comment on all articles and news feeds, leave reviews and member only Q&A forums. All comments can only been seen by other MIA members. You'll also be invited to join our private Facebook group, which is kinda like our lunchroom. (If Facebook isn't your thing, no worries - you won't miss anything important as long as you're paying attention to the newsletters and/or our Special Alerts forum.)
- Discounts - While we are not sponsored by any vendor or manufacturer, several reputable ones extend special discounts to our MIA members. Enjoy special discounts from WiFiRanger, 3GStore, PowerfulSignal, TechnoRV, Wilson Amplifiers and unlimited data brokers. Some members have saved more than the cost of membership.
Join Mobile Internet Aficionado for $65 for 1 year, or set up a subscription to lock in our discounted annual rate of $57/year. (That's less than $5/month!)
MIA + Advising
Get all of the above, plus:
- Personal Advising Session - If you'd like to pre-purchase an advising session with us, you can do that too with your MIA membership. You can select from a single Mobile Internet Advising session (which includes an assessment interview, phone/video session and written follow-up report) or a freeform session that you can schedule anytime during your membership for a little extra private guidance. Not sure if you need a session? No worries - you can always add one on later.
However, we don't promise to review every single product available, or necessarily in a timely fashion. We tend to research the 'best in class' options and review those.
Remember we live in an RV and have limited space for installing & storing gear. We are also only two people (and a cat - and she's honestly a bit lazy) - and doing the depth of reviews we do, takes a LOT of time. This is on top of creating content, covering the news and answering member questions.
Also, we do not cover most general mobile technology equipment - such as computers, TVs, smartphones & tablets. While they are obviously an element of a mobile internet arsenal - there are simply too many of them on the market, and preferences for smartphones are very highly individualized for OS and form factor. There are many other services out there that provide smartphone/tablet/computer reviews.
Our reviews are focused equipment specific to RV mobile internet - such as dedicated hotspots, mobile routers, mobile cellular boosters, antennas and mobile WiFi repeating gear. We do not review equipment designed and marketed for stationary or marine use, nor do we cover general mobile technology.
We know RVers aren't the only ones who depend on mobile internet options. Truckers, boaters, rural folks and cord-cutters also might rely on wireless connections instead of hardwired internet.
And we know some folks part time RV, and desire a setup that might be usable 'at home' and on the road. Or RVers might be stationary, and not mobile.
We absolutely welcome you to join, but just know upfront we are very focused on mobile internet options for RVs. Our 'Top Picks' and advice are specific to mobile RVing situations.
Installation & equipment options for boats, homes, offices and trucks might have different considerations. Those options are not our area of expertise, and the mobile RV-specific options keep us more than busy enough staying on top of.
You will learn a lot here, and have access to our ongoing research & knowledge. We'll do our best to point out where the differences & considerations are when asked, but we make no promises that we'll be able to provide specific guidance for non-RV use.
You will need to adapt what you learn here to apply to your own situation, and continue research on your own.
We want to make sure you fully understand what your membership includes, and doesn't include. Here are some specific things that the MIA is not intended for:
- E-mail and/or private support - We strongly encourage all members to post their questions in the Q&A forums. This helps other members learn as well. We do offer personal advising as a separate service you'd if prefer us to address your situation privately.
- 24/7 Instant Responses - We're full time RVers ourselves - we don't just play them on the internet. That's how we know about this stuff. Our own time and bandwidth availability can vary quite a bit. We set aside time (and effort to have connectivity) to read the Q&A forums to respond to member questions in full. We will do our very best to respond to inquiries within 2 business days (but usually sooner).
- Substitute for Reading our The Mobile Internet Handbook or other content on this site - Membership is best utilized if you're committed to education about the basic options. We strongly advise you read The Mobile Internet Handbook and/or understand the basics of the solution you want to assemble (the MIA includes a free PDF copy). We are always happy to address MIA member questions to further your understanding and how something we've written about might apply to your situation. If we have covered the subject elsewhere we will gladly provide a reference of where to find the relevant information - whether a chapter in the book, or content in the resource center.
- Technical Support - The MIA is not a substitute for the customer support provided by the manufacturer or vendor you purchased equipment from, or for the solutions you've implemented. But we might be able to help you troubleshoot a problem, confirm a problem or point you in the right direction to get help.
- General Mobile Tech - Many folks know us for our Technomadia.com blog, where we do write about our personal experiences with mobile tech (computers, tablets, solar, lithium batteries, GPS, lighting, apps, etc.). This site is specifically about mobile internet options & equipment - and we super focus on it here. It keeps us busy enough as is to stay on top of. However, our members do have access to our off topic discussion forum, and we do welcome questions there if you have them. We'll answer when we can.
- Remember... membership is intended to provide education, a venue for asking questions to further your understanding, and keeping you keep up to date on the industry.
Mobile internet vendors & company representative policy: We do not allow products or services we cover to have an official presence in member interactive places.
However, we recognize that some who represent mobile internet related products are also RVers themselves, and would like to join for their own personal interest. And we welcome this. We just ask that if you do represent a product that you refrain from posting anything that could be seen as marketing of the product. If you see a fellow member with a question about your product that you can answer, that is most appreciated - just please be transparent about your affiliation, and keep it supportive not 'selling'.
Also, our content is intended for personal use only - not for helping related businesses target their products & services at RVers. If you would like our assistance in getting a market overview or in-depth feedback in your product development, please contact us. When we have time, we do offer business-to-business consulting services.