Straight Talk offers plans on all of the major US networks - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. The device you activate will determine which carrier you are placed with.
They also offer data-only plans for hotspots and tablets, but all of the data plans are capped data buckets, which include between 1GB-7GB, spread over either 30 days or 60days of use. You must utilize a StraightTalk branded hotspot device or participate in their 'bring your own tablet' program to use shared data on StraightTalk's hotspot plans. Only 5 devices can be connected at a time to StraightTalk hotspots.
Last Update: November 18, 2020
Sprint is now part of T-Mobile, as per the merger that closed on April 1, 2020.
New Sprint customers are directed to T-Mobile to sign up for their plans, however, some of Sprint's legacy plans are still available in-store or over the phone. Customers on existing direct Sprint plans will be able to retain those plans for three years following the merger without price increases or changes to features.
The two networks still operate mostly independently with their own towers and frequency bands but are systematically being integrated. As of May 2021, most Sprint phones, Tablet, and mobile hotspots will freely roam onto the T-Mobile network thanks to network changes behind the scenes as well as roaming list updates pushed to Sprint devices.
T-Mobile is also offering most Sprint smartphone customers the ability to choose the "T-Mobile Network Experience". In short, TNX allows Sprint network customers with compatible devices to trade in their Sprint SIM card for a T-Mobile SIM card and move their plan to the T-Mobile network while retaining the features, billing, and terms of their original Sprint plan. You can read more about what this means here.
At present time - aside from Boost being sold to Dish Network - there are no changes to 3rd party, reseller, or MVNO plans sold on the Sprint network. However, we are continuing to monitor the situation and will update as appropriate.
Currently Available Plans:
- Unlimited Nationwide Plans (Smartphone)
- 5GB at high speed, then 2G - $35/month
- 25GB at high speed, then 2G - $45/month
- Ultimate Unlimited, with 10GB hotspot data - $55/month
- Platinum Unlimited, with 20GB hotspot data - $65/month
- Unlimited International Plan (Smartphone)
- 25GB at high speed, then 2G - $60/month
- Data Only Plans (Hotspot or Tablet)
- 1GB-7GB for 30 or 60 days
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone, Data only
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, hotspots, tablets. Phone plans cannot be used in a data-only device.
- Unlimited: Yes, but 60GB soft data cap per month
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: 10GB on the Ultimate Unlimited; 20GB on Platinum Unlimited
- *Hotspot NOT available on AT&T-based plans
- Throttling: Yes, after high-speed data caps are met
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind postpaid plan customers on that carrier.
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p for most plans, 720p on Platinum Unlimited
- Depending on the Carrier network, plans may come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care.
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: Yes, for hotspot plans only
- Plan Period: 30days, 60 days, 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: Depending on the Carrier network, it is possible that under certain circumstances your phone may roam if you are outside of your network coverage area and within the United States. Straight Talk does not guarantee your ability to roam nor the availability and/or the quality of Service. Due to Carrier restrictions, Straight Talk reserves the right to terminate the Service of any customer whose roaming usage exceeds 50% of their total usage in any three (3) Plan cycles within a 12 month period.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None
- Lines permitted per account: Two
- Extras: Platinum Unlimited includes 100GB of Cloud Storage and a Device Protection Plan
News, Videos & Status:
- Straight Talk Introduces New Platinum Unlimited Plan - $65/month with 20GB of Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: September 28, 2020
- Verizon Wireless Set to Buy Tracfone - Prepaid Brands Including StraightTalk, Total Wireless & Simple Mobile Posted on: September 15, 2020
- Total Wireless Adds Personal Mobile Hotspot and Offers Double Data Promo Posted on: February 4, 2020
- StraightTalk Enables Mobile Hotspot on Unlimited Data Plans Posted on: October 28, 2019
- FTC Throttles Straight Talk for Deceptively Throttled "Unlimited" Plans Posted on: January 30, 2015
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
As heavily as the carriers push their "Unlimited' data plans - you'll quickly discover that most have limits. Here's a video going over what you need to know about unlimited plans, including 3rd party resellers plans that you might find on the internet:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online - it's only one part of the equation. You also need the right gear and signal enhancing strategy.
For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides: