TracFone is being acquired by Verizon Wireless, and the deal is expected to be complete by the end of 2021.
Straight Talk offers plans on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. The device you activate will determine which carrier you are placed with, or if bringing your own phone and purchasing a SIM, you can select which network the SIM will be compatible with.
They offer smartphone plans with mobile hotspot use, and data-only plans for hotspots and tablets. The data plans have data caps ranging from 2GB to 20GB, spread over either 30 days or 60days of use. You must purchase a hotspot device from Straight talk in order to purchase a hotspot plan, but tablet plans allow you to bring your own device. On data plans, only 5 devices can be connected at a time.
Currently Available Plans:
- Platinum Unlimited - $65/month
- Unlimited International - $60/month
- Ultimate Unlimited - $55/month
- Unlimited - $45
- Unlimited (10GB high speed) - $35
Data Only Plans for Hotspot or Tablet
- 10GB/60 days - $50
- 20GB/60 days - $75
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone, Data only
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, hotspots, tablets. Phone plans cannot be used in a data-only device.
- Unlimited: Yes, but caps on high-speed data
- Platinum Unlimited and Ultimate Unlimited- 60GB soft cap
- Unlimited International - 60GB soft cap
- Unlimited - 60GB soft cap
- Unlimited (10GB) - 10GB hard cap
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Platinum Unlimited - 20GB
- Unlimited International - 5GB
- Ultimate Unlimited - 15GB
- Unlimited - 5GB
- Unlimited with 10GB high speed - 10GB
- Throttling: Yes, after high-speed data caps are met
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind postpaid plan customers on that carrier.
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p for most plans, 720p on Platinum Unlimited
- Depending on the Carrier network, plans may come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care.
- 5G Access: Yes
- eSIM: Yes, on iPhone 12 or newer
- Device Purchase Required: Yes, for hotspot plans only
- Plan Period: 30days, 60 days, 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year
- International Roaming: None, even for the 'International' plan. The International plan includes calls from the U.S. to other countries.
- Domestic Roaming: Depending on the Carrier network, it is possible that under certain circumstances your phone may roam if you are outside of your network coverage area and within the United States. Straight Talk does not guarantee your ability to roam nor the availability and/or the quality of Service. Due to Carrier restrictions, Straight Talk reserves the right to terminate the Service of any customer whose roaming usage exceeds 50% of their total usage in any three (3) Plan cycles within a 12 month period.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None
- Lines permitted per account: Two
- Extras: Platinum Unlimited includes 100GB of Cloud Storage and a Device Protection Plan
- Data Add-Ons available for $10/2GB
News, Videos & Status:
- Verizon Begins Plans to Migrate Tracfone Customers to Their Network After Acquisition Posted on: March 1, 2022
- Straight Talk Updates Plans, Decreasing Hotspot Data For Some Posted on: December 3, 2021
- Straight Talk Introduces New Platinum Unlimited Plan - $65/month with 20GB of Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: September 28, 2020
- Verizon Wireless Set to Buy Tracfone - Prepaid Brands Including StraightTalk, Total Wireless & Simple Mobile Posted on: September 15, 2020
- Total Wireless Adds Personal Mobile Hotspot and Offers Double Data Promo Posted on: February 4, 2020
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Dish best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.