Straight Talk offers plans on all of the major US networks - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. The device you activate will determine which carrier you are placed with.
They offer data only plans for hotspots and tablets, but all of the data plans are capped data buckets, which include between 1GB-7GB, spread over either 30 days or 60days of use. You must utilize a StraightTalk branded hotspot device or participate in their 'bring your own tablet' program to use shared data on StraightTalk's hotspot plans. Only 5 devices can be connected at a time to StraightTalk hotspots.
T-Mobile Merger Notes
Last Update: August 10th, 2020
Sprint is now part of T-Mobile, as per the merger that closed on April 1, 2020.
New Sprint customers are directed to T-Mobile to sign up for their plans, however, some of Sprint's legacy plans are still available in-store or over the phone.
Customers on existing direct Sprint plans will be able to retain those plans for the next three years without price increases or changes to features.
The two networks still operate mostly independently with their own towers and frequency bands. Some Sprint customers can have their Sprint phones coded to make the T-Mobile network the primary network for their phones instead of Sprint. Sprint customers with recent 5G phones such as the Galaxy S10 automatically use T-Mobile as the primary network since the combined company is shutting down Sprint's 5G service.
At present time - aside from Boost being sold to Dish Network - there are no changes to 3rd party, reseller, non-profit or MVNO plans sold on the Sprint network. However, we are continuing to monitor the situation and will update as appropriate.
Currently Available Plans:
- Unlimited Nationwide Plans (Smartphone)
- 5GB at highspeed, then 2G - $35/month
- 25GB at highspeed, then 2G - $45/month
- Ultimate Unlimited, with 10GB hotspot data - $55/month*
- Unlimited International Plan (Smartphone)
- 25GB at highspeed, then 2G - $60/month
- Data Only Plans (Hotspot or Tablet)
- 1GB-7GB for 30 or 60 days
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone, Data only
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, hotspots, tablets. Phone plans cannot be used in a data only device.
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: 10GB on the Ultimate Unlimited plan only; *Hotspot NOT available on AT&T-based plans
- Throttling: Yes, after high speed data caps are met
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind postpaid plan customers on that carrier.
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- Depending on the Carrier network, plans may come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care.
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: Yes, for hotspot plans only
- Plan Period: 30days, 60 days, 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: Depending on the Carrier network, it is possible that under certain circumstances your phone may roam if you are outside of your network coverage area and within the United States. Straight Talk does not guarantee your ability to roam nor the availability and/or the quality of Service. Due to Carrier restrictions, Straight Talk reserves the right to terminate the Service of any customer whose roaming usage exceeds 50% of their total usage in any three (3) Plan cycles within a 12 month period.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None
- Lines permitted per account: Two
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.