Straight Talk is one of TracFone's brands partnered with Walmart to provide prepaid phone and hotspot service. They offer plans on all of the major US networks - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular.
The device you activate will determine which carrier you are placed with.
Their data only hotspot plans are only available for Verizon and AT&T. All of their data only mobile hotspot plans are capped data buckets, which include between 1GB-7GB, spread over either 30 days or 60days of use. You must utilize a StraightTalk branded hotspot device or participate in their 'bring your own tablet' program to use shared data on StraightTalk's hotspot plans. Only 5 devices can be connected at a time to StraightTalk hotspots.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Straight Talk plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
- Carrier Relation: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone, Data only
- Device Types Permitted: Hotspot, Tablet, Eligible phone
- Device Purchase Required: Yes, for hotspots. Can BYO tablet or phone device.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Hotspot data is available on Verizon or T-Mobile plans only
- Hotspot plans and tablet plans allow all data on the plan to be shared.
- Some smartphone plans include a capped amount of hotspottable data
- Throttling: None
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind postpaid plan customers on that carrier.
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: Depending on the Carrier network, it is possible that under certain circumstances your phone may roam if you are outside of your network coverage area and within the United States. Straight Talk does not guarantee your ability to roam nor the availability and/or the quality of Service. Due to Carrier restrictions, Straight Talk reserves the right to terminate the Service of any customer whose roaming usage exceeds 50% of their total usage in any three (3) Plan cycles within a 12 month period.
- Plan Period: 30 or 60 days
- Data Roll Over: Unused data does not roll over to the next billing period. However, Straight Talk does offer some of their data plans on a 60-day period, instead of the typical month.
- Overage Charges: None
- Streaming: No streaming services are bundled on StraightTalk plans.
- Depending on the Carrier network, plans may come automatically enabled with a feature that optimizes all detectable video streaming to DVD-quality (typically 480p) through the Carrier’s network. You may disable the Data Optimizer feature at any time by contacting Customer Care.
- Unlimited: StraightTalk offer unlimited on phone device data plans - some with a capped allotment of mobile hotspot data. Their data only hotspot plans are all capped data.
- In addition, Straight Talk's TOS indicates the following: "We further reserve the right to limit, deny, or terminate Service to anyone we believe is using their Service in an unauthorized manner.... We will presume you are engaging in an unauthorized use in violation of these Terms and Conditions, if in our sole discretion, you are using more than 60GB of data in a 30-day period." So, technically, 'unlimited' means '60GB'. And yes, we have seen reports of folks getting cut off for 'violating' these TOS.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: Straight Talk will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, provided the device has been activated on Straight Talk Service for no fewer than 12 months with service plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months.
Related Articles & Videos:
- Total Wireless Adds Personal Mobile Hotspot and Offers Double Data Promo Posted on: February 4, 2020
- StraightTalk Enables Mobile Hotspot on Unlimited Data Plans Posted on: October 28, 2019
- FTC Throttles Straight Talk for Deceptively Throttled "Unlimited" Plans Posted on: January 30, 2015
- Field Report: Straight Talk Hotspot Posted on: May 29, 2014
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.