Republic Wireless routes all phone usage through Wi-Fi and uses Sprint’s and T-Mobile’s networks for backup when Wi-Fi isn’t available. The company boasts employing millions of Wi-Fi hotspots across the US. A map of these hotspots is available here.
Republic Wireless requires you to purchase a phone or SIM before purchasing a plan on Republic. You will then purchase the plan through the Republic app on your phone device. Plans can be adjusted at any time.
Only Android phones can be used on Republic Wireless plans.
Currently, Republic Wireless offers:
- A variety of voice/text plans starting at $15/month for no data, with pricing of $5/GB of data on top of the base $15 for voice/text.
- Yearly plans at a discount over monthly plans. These are non-refundable.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Republic Wireless plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile, Sprint
- Carrier Relation: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone (Android only),
- Device Types Permitted: Android based phones, Hotspots/Routers, Tablets
- Device Purchase Required: Not required - can use your own device, but must purchase SIM
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- Throttling/Network Management: All data is at full speed up to the plan's data cap. Once data cap is reached, data service is cut off.
- International Roaming: No international data roaming. Calls to Mexico / Canada are included if voice is included in the plan.
- Domestic Roaming: No data roam - some voice roaming.
- Data Roll Over: None. Unused data is lost at the end of the prepaid period. Plans are either 30 or 90 day periods.
- Overage Charges: There are no overage charges on prepaid plans. Once you use your data, data service is cut off.
- Plan Period: Monthly, Yearly
- Streaming: No streaming services are provided. No throttling limits.
- Unlimited: Technically, Republic Wireless' Data Only Amazon SIM is unlimited - after the first 20GB of high-speed data, speeds are throttled to 2G (256kbps) until the SIM card's use period (30 or 90 days) is up.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: All Republic Wireless 3.0 phones are unlocked.
- Republic Wireless Offering 20GB Data-only Sim Cards Through Amazon Posted on: December 18, 2018
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.