In late June of 2019, it was announced by RedPocket Mobile that UNREAL Mobile and their sister company, FreedomPop would be acquired by RedPocket Mobile. Around the same time, UNREAL mobile increased the fees on their plans. Be sure to track this acquisition if UNREAL or FreedomPop are services you use, or plan to use. We will have a story with the details once the acquisition is finalized.
FreedomPop is an MVNO offering 'free' or prepaid phone plans on the
Sprint and AT&T networks.
Freedom Pop as offered many iterations of plans in its history as a company - and plans can change frequently and without warning.
Their basic 'free' plans include free voice service, with just a bit of data (200 minutes, 500 text messages and 500 MBs of 1mbps speed data for $0.00/month.) Customers can then earn credits by referring other customers or completing 'partner challenges'. If you reach any limits on the 'free' plan, you will automatically incur a $20 fee - which gives you another round of 200 minutes, 500 text messages and 500 MBs. Or, customers can just purchase voice, text or data up front.
Tethering from a phone is permitted - but you must pay and additional fee and tethered data is capped to 1GB per month.
Plans are available in 1, 3, 6, or 12 months increments - with reductions in pricing based on how many months you pay for up front.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Freedom Pop plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T (GSM)
- Carrier Relation: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, hotspots, tablets
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use: For an additional fee, you can tether up to 1GB of data per month.
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind native postpaid customers.
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: None
- Plan Period: 1, 3, 6, 12 months
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: Yes - if you go over your text, voice, or data limit you are automatically billed for extra.
- Streaming: No bundles or speed restrictions.
- Unlimited: N/A
- Lines permitted per account: 10, with all lines on an account sharing in a data bucket. $5 fee per line.
- Shifting Landscape at FreedomPop, UNREAL, Ting & RedPocket Posted on: July 9, 2019
- FreedomPop Now Offering AT&T Based Data Options Posted on: December 21, 2016
- Sprint MVNO FreedomPop Offering Limited Time Only '4x the Data' Deals Posted on: September 29, 2016
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.