In late June of 2019, it was announced by RedPocket Mobile that UNREAL Mobile and their sister company, FreedomPop would be acquired by RedPocket Mobile. Around the same time, UNREAL mobile increased the fees on their plans. Be sure to track this acquisition if UNREAL or FreedomPop are services you use, or plan to use. We will have a story with the details once the acquisition is finalized.
FreedomPop is an MVNO offering 'free' or prepaid phone plans on the
Sprint and AT&T networks.
Freedom Pop as offered many iterations of plans in its history as a company - and plans can change frequently and without warning.
Their basic 'free' plans include free voice service, with just a bit of data (200 minutes, 500 text messages and 500 MBs of 1mbps speed data for $0.00/month.) Customers can then earn credits by referring other customers or completing 'partner challenges'. If you reach any limits on the 'free' plan, you will automatically incur a $20 fee - which gives you another round of 200 minutes, 500 text messages and 500 MBs. Or, customers can just purchase voice, text or data up front.
Tethering from a phone is permitted - but you must pay an additional fee and tethered data is capped to 1GB per month.
Plans are available in 1, 3, 6, or 12 months increments - with reductions in pricing based on how many months you pay for up front.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Freedom Pop plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T (GSM)
- Carrier Relation: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, hotspots, tablets
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use: For an additional fee, you can tether up to 1GB of data per month.
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind native postpaid customers.
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: None
- Plan Period: 1, 3, 6, 12 months
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: Yes - if you go over your text, voice, or data limit you are automatically billed for extra.
- Streaming: No bundles or speed restrictions.
- Unlimited: N/A
- Lines permitted per account: 10, with all lines on an account sharing in a data bucket. $5 fee per line.
- Shifting Landscape at FreedomPop, UNREAL, Ting & RedPocket Posted on: July 9, 2019
- FreedomPop Now Offering AT&T Based Data Options Posted on: December 21, 2016
- Sprint MVNO FreedomPop Offering Limited Time Only '4x the Data' Deals Posted on: September 29, 2016
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.