In late June of 2019, it was announced by RedPocket Mobile that UNREAL Mobile and their sister company, FreedomPop would be acquired by RedPocket Mobile. Around the same time, UNREAL mobile increased the fees on their plans.
In early July 2019, it was announced by Ting Mobile that Ting would be acquiring FreedomPop's Sprint based service lines - and moving the entire line (phone number included) to Ting.
Freedom Pop has offered many iterations of plans in its history as a company - and plans can change frequently and without warning.
Their basic 'free' plans include free voice service, with just a bit of data (200 minutes, 500 text messages and 500 MBs of 1mbps speed data for $0.00/month.) Customers can then earn credits by referring other customers or completing 'partner challenges'. If you reach any limits on the 'free' plan, you will automatically incur a $20 fee - which gives you another round of 200 minutes, 500 text messages and 500 MBs. Or, customers can just purchase voice, text or data up front.
Tethering from a phone is permitted - but you must pay an additional fee and tethered data is capped to 1GB per month.
Data only plans with small data buckets are available for hotspot devices - but can be tricky to find on Freedom Pop's website.
Plans are available in 1, 3, 6, or 12 months increments - with reductions in pricing based on how many months you pay for up front.
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T (GSM)
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone, data only
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, hotspots, tablets
- Unlimited: No
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: For an additional fee, you can tether up to 1GB of data per month.
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind native postpaid customers.
- Video Streaming Resolution: Not specified
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 1, 3, 6, 12 months
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: None
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: Yes - if you go over your text, voice, or data limit you are automatically billed for extra.
- Lines permitted per account: 10, with all lines on an account sharing in a data bucket. $5 fee per line.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos:
- Mango Mobile Discontinues T-Mobile Yearly Plan, Cancels Service Posted on: April 16, 2020
- Shifting Landscape at FreedomPop, UNREAL, Ting & RedPocket Posted on: July 9, 2019
- FreedomPop Now Offering AT&T Based Data Options Posted on: December 21, 2016
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.