boom! offers plans on the T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon networks.
Terms of service can be confusing on boom!, so be sure to read each plan's stated terms carefully - and be aware that boom! neglects to detail some important features with respect to data plans - such as network management and throttle points.
boom!'s plans are color coded by carrier:
- BLUE = AT&T
- RED = Verizon
- PURPLE = T-Mobile
boom! categorizes their plans by Individual, Shared, Data Only, Unlimited. While there is some overlap in categorization, in general:
- Individual Plans are single line plans, of which boom! offers plans on the Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile networks.
- Shared Plans require two or more lines of services, and offer sharable data buckets amongst those lines of service. Currently boom! only offers shared plans on the AT&T network. All shared plans are capped at 10GB for Mobile Hotspot use - even if the shared data bucket is much larger than that.
- Data Only Plans do not offer and talk or text, and are meant to be used on a tablet or mobile hotspot. While router compatibility is not guaranteed, some routers may be compatible.
- Unlimited Plans offer unlimited data in some form - although that form may be a set or capped amount of high-speed data followed by unlimited slowed (2G) speed data.
Mobile hotspot use from boom! plans can be confusing. You will want to confirm that a specific plan offers mobile hotspot - and exactly how much is offered, before committing. Reportedly, all boom! plans with data offer mobile hotspot as of May 2020, but their FAQ webpage as of that same date does not reflect that report.
- Shared plans have a noted cap of 10GB of MHS per line on their plan page.
Plans of particular interest:
- BLUE UNLIMITED (phone) Plan - $59
- Known: Phone device only, 'unlimited' data both on device and via mobile hotspot from phone, domestic roaming included, Mexico & Canada roaming included, streaming at 480p (can be increased)
- Unknowns: applicable network management? Vague fair use policy - is it actually unlimited?
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Boom! Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
- Carrier Relation: MVNO/Reseller?
- Plan Types Available: Phone or Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Phone, hotspot, tablet
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device - limited devices available.
- Mobile Hotspot Use:You will want to confirm that a specific plan offers mobile hotspot - and exactly how much is offered, before committing. Reportedly, all Boom! plans with data offer mobile hotspot as of May 2020, but that is not substantiated by their FAQ page.
- Throttling: Some plans offer 2G speeds after high-speed cap is used, others do not.
- Network Management: Unknown
- International Roaming: For some AT&T based plans. Plan dependent - Mexico and Canada are definetely included in some AT&T based phone plans - other AT&T plans unknown.
- Domestic Roaming: Yes on AT&T, no on all other carriers.
- Plan Period: 30 days, 3 months, or 12 months
- Data Roll Over: Plan dependent -some include this
- Overage Charges: None
- Streaming: No streaming services are provided. Some plans implement streaming throttled - i.e., SD/480p. Some of these throttles can be turned off.
- Unlimited: Yes - but a very vague fair use policy is in place that may limit usage.
- Lines per account: Plan dependent. Some plans require multiple lines on a plan.
- Verizon and Sprint Based Prepaid Plans with Mobile Hotspot from Boom! Mobile Posted on: August 20, 2016
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.